Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
Please look at the attached photo and see if this is the insect that you are seeing in your peach trees. If so, this is a soldier beetle (Family Cantharidae). Soldier beetles are predators of aphids and other small insects. Did you have aphids on your peach tree? Aphids are small soft-bodied insects that suck sap from leaves and cause leaves to curl and produce abundant honeydew (sticky substance). The presence of aphids in the trees could lure the soldier beetles into your trees to find prey. Soldier beetles are natural, beneficial insects for your peach trees. They feed on the pest aphids.
Here are a few web page links on soldier beetles for your information:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?
- I have these little tiny beetle bugs. I suspect they are the mexican jumping bug thing. They are all over my tomatos, they eat the leaves until I wonder if the tomatoes will survive. What can I do to get rid of them? P.S. They eat my potato plants too.
- My daughter found a strange insect outside today. It 1 1/2 inches long and has the coloring of a wasp. The back part of the body looks like a very large wasp, but the front part and front legs look more like a praying mantis. Just wondering if you could tell us what kind of insect this could be. It was definitely interesting looking!
- We have millions of tiny tan bugs that jump when you try to swat them. I think they are springtails, and I have no idea how to get rid of them. They are coming into our house (we rent out a basement apartment), and they are all over outside! They are on the concrete, the stucco, everywhere! They don't seem to be bothering my two cats or our plants outside. How do I get rid of them? I've tried putting Sevin outside around the doorway and windowsills to keep them out, however it is not working.
- I have large burrowing bees or wasps that live in my sandbox. They do not sting but are very annoying. What is the best way to get rid of them?
- We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?
- Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?