Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
Please look at the attached photo and see if this is the insect that you are seeing in your peach trees. If so, this is a soldier beetle (Family Cantharidae). Soldier beetles are predators of aphids and other small insects. Did you have aphids on your peach tree? Aphids are small soft-bodied insects that suck sap from leaves and cause leaves to curl and produce abundant honeydew (sticky substance). The presence of aphids in the trees could lure the soldier beetles into your trees to find prey. Soldier beetles are natural, beneficial insects for your peach trees. They feed on the pest aphids.
Here are a few web page links on soldier beetles for your information:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have ants all over my yard. I also have domestic cats and wild birds. Is there any organic or other non-toxic way to kill the ants without putting poison in my yard? If not, what is the most effective, least toxic substance I can use?
- Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
- I have millions of tiny black jumping bugs in my garage. They go in and out of the cracks in the floors, all over the concrete, walls, etc. I see very few in the day time; However at night millions everywhere. I have tried every spay I know of but nothing seems to kill them. Please Help.
- Help! I have a gigantic ant problem (millions of small black ants) in my garden. They are everywhere: in the flower beds, the veggie garden, the lawn, under the sidewalks and driveway. I have tried the sprays and spreadable pesticide from Lowe's, but nothing seems to work. They seem to multiply by the day, and are making work in the garden creepy and painful (they bite too). What can I do? There is no obvious food source around; except they seem to be eating the iris' roots. I live just above Orchard Drive and Bountiful High School. What can I do?
- We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?
- I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
- Does Utah State University offer any beekeeping courses in the Layton, UT area? If so, what information is available?
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?