Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
Please look at the attached photo and see if this is the insect that you are seeing in your peach trees. If so, this is a soldier beetle (Family Cantharidae). Soldier beetles are predators of aphids and other small insects. Did you have aphids on your peach tree? Aphids are small soft-bodied insects that suck sap from leaves and cause leaves to curl and produce abundant honeydew (sticky substance). The presence of aphids in the trees could lure the soldier beetles into your trees to find prey. Soldier beetles are natural, beneficial insects for your peach trees. They feed on the pest aphids.
Here are a few web page links on soldier beetles for your information:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I found a possible red and blue leaf hopper on a plant in my yard. Some experts I have contacted say we don't have them in the west. Could it be identified by you to species if I catch one and bring it in? I do have a photo of it.
- When do spray for the cotteling moths, Apple worms?
- I have little black beetles in my home do you know what they are and how to get rid of them?
- Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
- I had a small fly with speckled wings basically destroy my peaches this year, about the size of a small "housefly". They lay eggs through the skin that go to the pit and then if left hatch into small worm type larvae. They got into every peach, but did not start getting there until the peaches were starting to ripen. It at first looks like a small round spot, but with time rots the fruit and turns it brown. What are they and how do you get rid of them?
- My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.
- Every spring I get larger black ants coming into my house mostly in the kitchen. I also see them outside the house and climbing around the base structure. I have determined that they are not termites. I tried using a bate last year but unlike all of the smaller colonies of ants that I gave the bate to (which I haven't seen in the house only in the driveway and sidewalks) which immediately started loading it up to take back to the nest, these ants weren't interested. Is there a reason? What kind of ant might they be and therefore what kind of bate do I need to use?
- Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?