Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a Blierana flowering plum tree that failed to leaf out fully this spring. I looked at it yesterday and found at least fifty places on the branches where a snake-like resin/sap has been pushed out of the branch. Is this a borer doing damage? What do I do? Should I remove the tree to prevent further damage to surrounding trees? Is there something I can spray? Can I ever plant a tree in this same spot? I have trees all along my fence line in a row and really need a replacement tree if this one is going to die.
Rate This FAQ
Coryneum blight can cause gumming on, an death of the little twigs as well as defoliation and eventual death of branches. The peach crown borer (I know you have a plum tree, but it attacks all stone fruits) burrows around inside the trunk, cutting off the nutrients to the tree. This eventually kills the tree.
Coryneum blight is a fungus disease that overwinters in the leaf scars. You need to spray the tree this fall when most of the leaves have dropped. You can use fixed copper, captan, chlorothalonil, Bordeau mixture.
If you have peach tree crown borer, you need to spray the lower 3 feet of trunk, letting it puddle at the base of the tree, as oftentimes the moth eggs are laid just below the soil line. Do this the first of July (now) and again the first of August. You can use something with carbaryl, permethrin or esfenvalerate in it.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is Fall a good time to plant a new lawn? I am a 72 year old homeowner. My back yard (about 2000 sq feet) is barren except or weeds (which my daughter and grandchildren are busy removing).
- What kind of Strawberry plant do you recommend? I remember Crocket's Victory Garden recommending an ever bearing one for the New England area.
- I would like to put a barrier inbetween my lawn and my side yard where we have quakies to keep the suckers from coming up. What can I use and how deep do I put it into the ground? Also, they are next to my neighbors driveway, how far do the roots travel and should I barrier that side as well?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- My husband plants tomato and peppers etc each year. He plants directly under the eves of the house and the water runs off the roof with each rain storm or in the spring run off. I believe this is not good for the soil he is planting the garden in since we have an asphalt roof and I can see the debris from the roof on the soil. He says not a problem, I still have a hard time eating them without thinking I am getting some sort of poison in our systems. Suggestions?
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?