Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
Rate This FAQ
“Worms” in apples are codling moth larvae. Codling moth may spoil 90% of the fruit crop. Spraying with approved insecticides is the only effective control and timing is essential. Starting 10 days after petal fall or based on trapping information, apply sprays according to protection interval of chemicals used, and continuing through the first week in September. Follow label instructions. Refer to the Utah State University Integrated Pest Management Fruit Tree Advisory website for your area’s projected spray dates.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- Is there a variety of Nectarine which will grow well here in northern Utah? Can I grow just one tree? Is it okay to grow it near a peach tree or will they cross-pollinate and cause problems? Do they have the same risk of disease as peaches do?
- When should I spray my apple trees?