Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
Rate This FAQ
“Worms” in apples are codling moth larvae. Codling moth may spoil 90% of the fruit crop. Spraying with approved insecticides is the only effective control and timing is essential. Starting 10 days after petal fall or based on trapping information, apply sprays according to protection interval of chemicals used, and continuing through the first week in September. Follow label instructions. Refer to the Utah State University Integrated Pest Management Fruit Tree Advisory website for your area’s projected spray dates.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- I have a bartlett pear tree. A Limb is almost black, but growth was still coming out of the ends, so i didn't prune it off the tree all the way in the spring. Now other parts of the tree are turning black, some of the leaves are curling and turning black as well as some of the fruit. Can I save the tree, or do I need to pull it out. Also will this spread to my other two nearby peach and apple tree.
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?