Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
Rate This FAQ
“Worms” in apples are codling moth larvae. Codling moth may spoil 90% of the fruit crop. Spraying with approved insecticides is the only effective control and timing is essential. Starting 10 days after petal fall or based on trapping information, apply sprays according to protection interval of chemicals used, and continuing through the first week in September. Follow label instructions. Refer to the Utah State University Integrated Pest Management Fruit Tree Advisory website for your area’s projected spray dates.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?
- I would like to plant 2 plum trees and would like to make sure they have sufficient pollination. I would definately like a Italian Plum (Prune) and some other plum that is freestone and good fresh eating with a great flavor. I would like a Satsuma but have read that the european plum and the Japanese plum varieties are not compatible as far as pollination. Would the Santa Rosa be a good substitute for the Satsuma?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?