Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I recently had a handyman come to adjust the sprinklers at a house we do not live in and are trying to sell, and he unfortunately turned off the sprinklers without us knowing, and the grass went a few weeks without being watered. Since we discovered it, we began watering and I laid down turf builder to see if I could jump start the regrowth. The grass looks brown and dead over much of the lawn, however, since I fertilized, I can see little green spots and individual green shafts here and there. What should I do now? Can I seed over the existing dead lawn? What is the fastest and best way back to green without tearing up the whole yard and starting again? (The backyard sod was new last year)
Rate This FAQ
#1. If you are seeing little green shoots, then the roots aren't totally dead. It's easier to bring the lawn back than replant it.
#2. I would continue watering the lawn. Make sure the water penetrates at least 8" down so that the lowest roots get water, but do not keep the ground soggy.
#3. If you find that your lawn doesn't come back, you can overseed, but first you must rake down to the soil. The grass seed must come in contact with the soil. Treat it as a newly seeded lawn, keeping it damp.
If you have further questions, you can call us at (801)851-8460, ext. 5.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have creeping mountain sorrel in our lawn and can't get rid of it. Do you have any recommendations on products that might kill it, or any other ways to get rid of it?
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
- I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?
- I have several burning bushes and every year they start out great in the spring but later spring the leaves turn yellow, I have been adding iron to the soil around them and it seems to help a bit but it still happens every year. Could it be something else?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?