Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I recently had a handyman come to adjust the sprinklers at a house we do not live in and are trying to sell, and he unfortunately turned off the sprinklers without us knowing, and the grass went a few weeks without being watered. Since we discovered it, we began watering and I laid down turf builder to see if I could jump start the regrowth. The grass looks brown and dead over much of the lawn, however, since I fertilized, I can see little green spots and individual green shafts here and there. What should I do now? Can I seed over the existing dead lawn? What is the fastest and best way back to green without tearing up the whole yard and starting again? (The backyard sod was new last year)
Rate This FAQ
#1. If you are seeing little green shoots, then the roots aren't totally dead. It's easier to bring the lawn back than replant it.
#2. I would continue watering the lawn. Make sure the water penetrates at least 8" down so that the lowest roots get water, but do not keep the ground soggy.
#3. If you find that your lawn doesn't come back, you can overseed, but first you must rake down to the soil. The grass seed must come in contact with the soil. Treat it as a newly seeded lawn, keeping it damp.
If you have further questions, you can call us at (801)851-8460, ext. 5.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
- We bought a house with horrible "goat head thorn" problem, all summer we have been pulling them out and collecting the thorny seeds as much as we can. We are now looking to plant grass seed. And are wondering what seed with grow faster than the goat heads, do well with high traffic (2 dogs) and in a semi shady area?
- Our new home came with some juvenile trees and sapplings planted very closely together in one corner of the yard. Who can identify these trees for us, so we know which ones (if any) to remove/relocate?
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?
- How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- It looks like something has bitten off whole leaves and blossoms from my tomato plants. They seem to be cut clean. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?