Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
Rate This FAQ
First off, we do have roaches here. In fact someone brought one to me today! Otherwise the only beetles or insects that would look like a roach (but don't necessarily run fast) would be a Prionus californicus longhorned beetle: http://bugguide.net/node/view/18882/bgimage or maybe even a Belostomatid giant water bug: http://bugguide.net/node/view/12796/bgimage . These ones have an extremely painful bite, and sometimes leave water and fly toward lights at night.
And we do have a variety of roaches in Utah, but the one you saw was likely an american cockroach: http://bugguide.net/node/view/31622/bgimage
That is all I can think off the top of my head. Let me know if one of these is the culprit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a big problem with a little pest in my house. I would call them fruit flies, but they don't hang around fruit. They mostly bug me as I sit here at this computer, and often times in the bathroom by the mirror. How can I get rid of these tiny flies?
- Help! I have a gigantic ant problem (millions of small black ants) in my garden. They are everywhere: in the flower beds, the veggie garden, the lawn, under the sidewalks and driveway. I have tried the sprays and spreadable pesticide from Lowe's, but nothing seems to work. They seem to multiply by the day, and are making work in the garden creepy and painful (they bite too). What can I do? There is no obvious food source around; except they seem to be eating the iris' roots. I live just above Orchard Drive and Bountiful High School. What can I do?
- Sandy, Utah area (foothill benches. I am seeing sparse (not dense threads or tent-like)spider webs spanning approx 1-2 inches in the crotches of various limbs on scrub oak (no bugs or spiders are visible, however, did recently see only one yellowish/brown spindly pointed legs/body spider on limb which was about 1/2 - 3/4 inch if legs were spread from end to end). I've never seen spider like it before and can't identify on internet or books. Any thoughts, advice, or place to reference on what and how to treat? Scrub overhangs patio and everyone is paranoid to sit under trees. This is only affecting a few trees near pation, not seen on all scrub oak on property.
- We found (we think) a black widow spider in our home last night. It is completely black with a red hour-glass shape on its belly. We are concerned that there may be more of them in our home. I normally am opposed to using chemicals to get rid of spiders or insects, but in this case I think there is a bit of a health risk. I am particularly concerned about the safety of my children whose ages range from 9 months to 5 years. What can I do to get rid of any other black widow spiders that may be in our house, besides trying to keep corners clean, etc.?
- We have a concord grape vine on our fense and our neighbor has a large woodpile near it. The wood pile is a home for hornets which eat our grapes before they are ready to pick. What is a safe way to get rid of the hornets in the wood pile?
- We have millions of tiny tan bugs that jump when you try to swat them. I think they are springtails, and I have no idea how to get rid of them. They are coming into our house (we rent out a basement apartment), and they are all over outside! They are on the concrete, the stucco, everywhere! They don't seem to be bothering my two cats or our plants outside. How do I get rid of them? I've tried putting Sevin outside around the doorway and windowsills to keep them out, however it is not working.
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?