Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
Rate This FAQ
First off, we do have roaches here. In fact someone brought one to me today! Otherwise the only beetles or insects that would look like a roach (but don't necessarily run fast) would be a Prionus californicus longhorned beetle: http://bugguide.net/node/view/18882/bgimage or maybe even a Belostomatid giant water bug: http://bugguide.net/node/view/12796/bgimage . These ones have an extremely painful bite, and sometimes leave water and fly toward lights at night.
And we do have a variety of roaches in Utah, but the one you saw was likely an american cockroach: http://bugguide.net/node/view/31622/bgimage
That is all I can think off the top of my head. Let me know if one of these is the culprit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a deck that holds a raised hot tub about 3 - 4 feet off the ground (it's on a wood stand). Unfortunatley, bees or wasps (not sure which) have decided to use the insulation underneath the hot tub as their home. Help! I have elementary age kids that are always outside. How do I get rid of them?
- We have ants inside and outside of our house. Twice a year, we have flying ants in the basement of our house. In our garden and strawberry patch, we have big aggresive ants that make it difficult to enjoy our strawberries. What is the best way to get rid of the ants in these places? Is is ok to poison them around the strawberries? What about in the house?
- I have millions of tiny black jumping bugs in my garage. They go in and out of the cracks in the floors, all over the concrete, walls, etc. I see very few in the day time; However at night millions everywhere. I have tried every spay I know of but nothing seems to kill them. Please Help.
- Does Utah State University offer any beekeeping courses in the Layton, UT area? If so, what information is available?
- I have been fighting a battle with snails and slugs for the past 10 years. I can't find diatomaceous earth that is free of serious pesticides and I can use around my vegetables. (It seems to be more like typical non-garden pesticide in the form I find it.) I also wonder about copper barriers and what sort of copper I could use for that.
- Help! I have a gigantic ant problem (millions of small black ants) in my garden. They are everywhere: in the flower beds, the veggie garden, the lawn, under the sidewalks and driveway. I have tried the sprays and spreadable pesticide from Lowe's, but nothing seems to work. They seem to multiply by the day, and are making work in the garden creepy and painful (they bite too). What can I do? There is no obvious food source around; except they seem to be eating the iris' roots. I live just above Orchard Drive and Bountiful High School. What can I do?
- My daughter found a strange insect outside today. It 1 1/2 inches long and has the coloring of a wasp. The back part of the body looks like a very large wasp, but the front part and front legs look more like a praying mantis. Just wondering if you could tell us what kind of insect this could be. It was definitely interesting looking!
- We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?