Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
Rate This FAQ
First off, we do have roaches here. In fact someone brought one to me today! Otherwise the only beetles or insects that would look like a roach (but don't necessarily run fast) would be a Prionus californicus longhorned beetle: http://bugguide.net/node/view/18882/bgimage or maybe even a Belostomatid giant water bug: http://bugguide.net/node/view/12796/bgimage . These ones have an extremely painful bite, and sometimes leave water and fly toward lights at night.
And we do have a variety of roaches in Utah, but the one you saw was likely an american cockroach: http://bugguide.net/node/view/31622/bgimage
That is all I can think off the top of my head. Let me know if one of these is the culprit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a concord grape vine on our fense and our neighbor has a large woodpile near it. The wood pile is a home for hornets which eat our grapes before they are ready to pick. What is a safe way to get rid of the hornets in the wood pile?
- When do spray for the cotteling moths, Apple worms?
- We planted linden trees this year and wrapped the trunks with white corrugated tubing to prevent sun scald in the winter. In looking at leaf damage on the outside border of the leaves, I noted that there were literally hundreds of small gray/black flying insects clustered under the tree wrap. What might they be and are they responsible for the chewed leaves? What treatment is needed?
- I have black beetles about an inch long in my home. They do not like the light, and look similar to a blister beetle, but the head is more compact to the body. I only see one or two at a time, but for every one I kill, one more shows up. What are they, and how do I get rid of them?
- I have a big problem with a little pest in my house. I would call them fruit flies, but they don't hang around fruit. They mostly bug me as I sit here at this computer, and often times in the bathroom by the mirror. How can I get rid of these tiny flies?
- I have ants all over my yard. I also have domestic cats and wild birds. Is there any organic or other non-toxic way to kill the ants without putting poison in my yard? If not, what is the most effective, least toxic substance I can use?
- My daughter found a strange insect outside today. It 1 1/2 inches long and has the coloring of a wasp. The back part of the body looks like a very large wasp, but the front part and front legs look more like a praying mantis. Just wondering if you could tell us what kind of insect this could be. It was definitely interesting looking!
- We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?