Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
Rate This FAQ
First off, we do have roaches here. In fact someone brought one to me today! Otherwise the only beetles or insects that would look like a roach (but don't necessarily run fast) would be a Prionus californicus longhorned beetle: http://bugguide.net/node/view/18882/bgimage or maybe even a Belostomatid giant water bug: http://bugguide.net/node/view/12796/bgimage . These ones have an extremely painful bite, and sometimes leave water and fly toward lights at night.
And we do have a variety of roaches in Utah, but the one you saw was likely an american cockroach: http://bugguide.net/node/view/31622/bgimage
That is all I can think off the top of my head. Let me know if one of these is the culprit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Bloomington Just south of Saint George, Utah. About a week ago I noticed hundreds of little greenish/yellowish flying bugs. Like I said they have been here about a week and they are not going away. I have lived in the area for about six years now and have never seen them before. Do you have any idea what they are and how I can control them? Regards Randy
- I live at the edge of a neighborhood bordering the mountains in North Ogden. The last week we have seen hundreds and hundreds of little beetle-like bugs that have six legs, two antennas and a green/black body with a bright orange border. It appears the adult version of the beetle is about 1/4 inch long and fairly round. I'm wondering what this bug is and what damage it can/will do. I have close-up photos that I'd be more than happy to provide. Can you please help me identify this pest?
- My daughter found a strange insect outside today. It 1 1/2 inches long and has the coloring of a wasp. The back part of the body looks like a very large wasp, but the front part and front legs look more like a praying mantis. Just wondering if you could tell us what kind of insect this could be. It was definitely interesting looking!
- I have millions of tiny black jumping bugs in my garage. They go in and out of the cracks in the floors, all over the concrete, walls, etc. I see very few in the day time; However at night millions everywhere. I have tried every spay I know of but nothing seems to kill them. Please Help.
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?
- What should you use to kill Box Elder bugs?
- I have black beetles about an inch long in my home. They do not like the light, and look similar to a blister beetle, but the head is more compact to the body. I only see one or two at a time, but for every one I kill, one more shows up. What are they, and how do I get rid of them?
- Help! I have a gigantic ant problem (millions of small black ants) in my garden. They are everywhere: in the flower beds, the veggie garden, the lawn, under the sidewalks and driveway. I have tried the sprays and spreadable pesticide from Lowe's, but nothing seems to work. They seem to multiply by the day, and are making work in the garden creepy and painful (they bite too). What can I do? There is no obvious food source around; except they seem to be eating the iris' roots. I live just above Orchard Drive and Bountiful High School. What can I do?