Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
Rate This FAQ
First off, we do have roaches here. In fact someone brought one to me today! Otherwise the only beetles or insects that would look like a roach (but don't necessarily run fast) would be a Prionus californicus longhorned beetle: http://bugguide.net/node/view/18882/bgimage or maybe even a Belostomatid giant water bug: http://bugguide.net/node/view/12796/bgimage . These ones have an extremely painful bite, and sometimes leave water and fly toward lights at night.
And we do have a variety of roaches in Utah, but the one you saw was likely an american cockroach: http://bugguide.net/node/view/31622/bgimage
That is all I can think off the top of my head. Let me know if one of these is the culprit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do spiders eat earwigs?
- Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
- Help! I have a gigantic ant problem (millions of small black ants) in my garden. They are everywhere: in the flower beds, the veggie garden, the lawn, under the sidewalks and driveway. I have tried the sprays and spreadable pesticide from Lowe's, but nothing seems to work. They seem to multiply by the day, and are making work in the garden creepy and painful (they bite too). What can I do? There is no obvious food source around; except they seem to be eating the iris' roots. I live just above Orchard Drive and Bountiful High School. What can I do?
- We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?
- I have a big problem with a little pest in my house. I would call them fruit flies, but they don't hang around fruit. They mostly bug me as I sit here at this computer, and often times in the bathroom by the mirror. How can I get rid of these tiny flies?
- I have these little tiny beetle bugs. I suspect they are the mexican jumping bug thing. They are all over my tomatos, they eat the leaves until I wonder if the tomatoes will survive. What can I do to get rid of them? P.S. They eat my potato plants too.
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?
- We found (we think) a black widow spider in our home last night. It is completely black with a red hour-glass shape on its belly. We are concerned that there may be more of them in our home. I normally am opposed to using chemicals to get rid of spiders or insects, but in this case I think there is a bit of a health risk. I am particularly concerned about the safety of my children whose ages range from 9 months to 5 years. What can I do to get rid of any other black widow spiders that may be in our house, besides trying to keep corners clean, etc.?