Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
Rate This FAQ
Borers. Many kinds of boring beetles attack aspen trees. Trees that are stressed are more susceptible to borer infestation. Developing larvae burrow into the trunk and feed sometimes for several years. Borer wounds often bleed and their tunneling weakens the trunk of the tree and may cause the invasion of fungi. Maintain your trees’ health to prevent borer infestation. Once the borer larvae is inside the heartwood, insecticide applications are futile.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- How can I tell when my pears are ripe?
- Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- When is the best time time to water my lawn? I've heard it's better in the evening because it gives time to soak in and I've heard morning because if you do it at night the lawn will get moldy. Thanks.
- I have rings in my lawn that are about two feet wide. I suspect they are fairy ring, but the description for fairy ring doesn't quite fit. The inside of the circle is not lush and green, it looks the same as the rest of the lawn. There is just a semi-dead cirle surrounding good lawn. Do you have any help for me.
- I have a 25-foot tall scrub oak that appears to be dying. If it is anthracnose that is killing it, can it be saved? There are some commercial, injectable products that claim success. Is it possible?