Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
Rate This FAQ
Borers. Many kinds of boring beetles attack aspen trees. Trees that are stressed are more susceptible to borer infestation. Developing larvae burrow into the trunk and feed sometimes for several years. Borer wounds often bleed and their tunneling weakens the trunk of the tree and may cause the invasion of fungi. Maintain your trees’ health to prevent borer infestation. Once the borer larvae is inside the heartwood, insecticide applications are futile.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am looking for a native grass, or a grass that behaves as a native, does not need irrigated once established, does not need mowed, for a hill in a St.George back yard. Cottonwood trees shade the area but it also gets sun. I was going to use Buffalograss seed, but some people at a nursery in St.George said that it is too hot for Buffalograss. Do you have any suggestions?
- I am buying a new house in Salt Lake County, and the entire back yard is weeds. I want to put in a garden towards the back and fill in the rest with grass. What is the best way to kill the weeds completely, without killing the new grass and affecting the garden?
- Do you have tips for making my yard more colorful this spring?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- I live on 25 acres on the border of Summit and Wasatch Counties at an elevation of 7,000 ft. I need to add some trees to the landscape both evergreen and shade? What are good choices for my high and cold location?
- I made the mistake of fertilizing my newly planted trees. I had heard that the salty, clay soil I have needs iron useable for the trees. I used chelated. Anyway two of the trees, a candian red cherry and a zelkova tree have dry crispy leaves on the north side of the tree. We have had very hot, windy weather. I have two other canadian cherries that look fine.
- What is killing the aspen trees in our forests?
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?