Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
Rate This FAQ
With backyard orchard, there is limited space, especially a 25x30 plot as a mature standard apple tree requires spacing of 18 to 25 feet between trees. So, I recommend looking for dwarf or semidwarf rootstocks which allow for closer spacing. As for varieties there are many variables, the most important being what you like, if you want eating or canning or baking type of fruits. Also take into consideration that fruit trees require time and maintenance for healthy trees and fruit production. Pruning, training, weed control, pest management are all part of growing an orchard. I will attach below the Home Orchard Pest Management Guide to also take into consideration of the time involved for managing trees. It may take a minimum of 3 to 5 years for trees to produce fruits. You asked this question at the end of June, so it's difficult to find planting stock (and if you did - a bad time for planting trees with the hot temperatures and small rootballs that would not bode well for successful transplanting). Box Elder County has excellent information that can also apply for Salt Lake County for fruit trees. I think planning now for next spring would be ideal so you can plan out irrigation, training and integrated pest management.
General Information on Fruit Tree Production
Home Orchard Pest Management Guide
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?