Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
Rate This FAQ
With backyard orchard, there is limited space, especially a 25x30 plot as a mature standard apple tree requires spacing of 18 to 25 feet between trees. So, I recommend looking for dwarf or semidwarf rootstocks which allow for closer spacing. As for varieties there are many variables, the most important being what you like, if you want eating or canning or baking type of fruits. Also take into consideration that fruit trees require time and maintenance for healthy trees and fruit production. Pruning, training, weed control, pest management are all part of growing an orchard. I will attach below the Home Orchard Pest Management Guide to also take into consideration of the time involved for managing trees. It may take a minimum of 3 to 5 years for trees to produce fruits. You asked this question at the end of June, so it's difficult to find planting stock (and if you did - a bad time for planting trees with the hot temperatures and small rootballs that would not bode well for successful transplanting). Box Elder County has excellent information that can also apply for Salt Lake County for fruit trees. I think planning now for next spring would be ideal so you can plan out irrigation, training and integrated pest management.
General Information on Fruit Tree Production
Home Orchard Pest Management Guide
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- I have two new flowering pear trees that are being used as breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am not sure what is eating them the leaves have large scallops taken out of them. The lower branches have been affected more than the top ones. Any ideas?