Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
Rate This FAQ
With backyard orchard, there is limited space, especially a 25x30 plot as a mature standard apple tree requires spacing of 18 to 25 feet between trees. So, I recommend looking for dwarf or semidwarf rootstocks which allow for closer spacing. As for varieties there are many variables, the most important being what you like, if you want eating or canning or baking type of fruits. Also take into consideration that fruit trees require time and maintenance for healthy trees and fruit production. Pruning, training, weed control, pest management are all part of growing an orchard. I will attach below the Home Orchard Pest Management Guide to also take into consideration of the time involved for managing trees. It may take a minimum of 3 to 5 years for trees to produce fruits. You asked this question at the end of June, so it's difficult to find planting stock (and if you did - a bad time for planting trees with the hot temperatures and small rootballs that would not bode well for successful transplanting). Box Elder County has excellent information that can also apply for Salt Lake County for fruit trees. I think planning now for next spring would be ideal so you can plan out irrigation, training and integrated pest management.
General Information on Fruit Tree Production
Home Orchard Pest Management Guide
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?
- What dwarf nectarine (or semi-dwarf) will grow well in SL County (on the East Bench)? Also, how much space will it need when fully mature?
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?