Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
Rate This FAQ
With backyard orchard, there is limited space, especially a 25x30 plot as a mature standard apple tree requires spacing of 18 to 25 feet between trees. So, I recommend looking for dwarf or semidwarf rootstocks which allow for closer spacing. As for varieties there are many variables, the most important being what you like, if you want eating or canning or baking type of fruits. Also take into consideration that fruit trees require time and maintenance for healthy trees and fruit production. Pruning, training, weed control, pest management are all part of growing an orchard. I will attach below the Home Orchard Pest Management Guide to also take into consideration of the time involved for managing trees. It may take a minimum of 3 to 5 years for trees to produce fruits. You asked this question at the end of June, so it's difficult to find planting stock (and if you did - a bad time for planting trees with the hot temperatures and small rootballs that would not bode well for successful transplanting). Box Elder County has excellent information that can also apply for Salt Lake County for fruit trees. I think planning now for next spring would be ideal so you can plan out irrigation, training and integrated pest management.
General Information on Fruit Tree Production
Home Orchard Pest Management Guide
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I prune cherry trees?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- What dwarf nectarine (or semi-dwarf) will grow well in SL County (on the East Bench)? Also, how much space will it need when fully mature?
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- Where can I find some info on two things. Thing 1; Why can't I get a decent peach from growing a tree from a seed? and Thing 2; "Which came first the chicken or the peach" or "How does grafting work?"
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?
- I have a 6year old dwarf braeburn apple tree. It has gotten very tall and a large part of the tree split off in a windstorm. I need to prune it back and am wondering when I can safely do so.