Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I pick my watermelon?
Rate This FAQ
Tap the watermelon with your knuckle. If it makes a dull sound it is under-ripe, a soft sound means it is over-ripe, and a hollow sound means it is ripe. Or, check the under-side of the melon (the part touching the ground). If the color has changed from white to cream it is probably ripe. Another clue is that the tendril on the vine closest to the melon turns brown when the melon is ripe.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have 4 lovely crenshaw melons on my home garden vines -- 1 large, 2 medium, and 1 small. None of them have gone yellow/white yet! We survived the snow flakes last weekend (I covered everything), but I see we are about to get another "hit" this weekend! Is there ANYthing I can do to speed up their ripening?? I have cut back my watering of the vines, but sprinklers still go on automatically in the morning. Would any of the "usual" things people do to ripen melons indoors (paper bags, put them with a banana, etc.) do any good while they are still on the vine?? From everything I have read, if they are picked while they are still green, they will never ripen -- is this true? If I keep them well covered during our few nights of 32-33 due this weekend, will they survive on the vine to ripen?
- What is an effective way to handle squash bugs? This is the second year they have killed all our winter squash plants?
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- I heard there is an organism in garden soil that can be harmful to pregnant women. Is this true?
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
- How do I protect my zukes and cukes from the annual onslaught of squash bugs?