Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How can I tell when my pears are ripe?
Rate This FAQ
Pears are best when they are ripened off the tree (except Asian varieties). Fruit left on the tree will not have a good flavor or texture. Pick fruit when it is mature, hard and green, or cut it open and see if the seeds are turning from white to brown/black, if they are it is time to harvest them and allow them to finish ripening off the tree. To harvest pears lift up the fruit gently (do not twist or pull), if the stem does not separate easily from the branch, allow the fruit to remain on the tree a few more days. Winter varieties usually need about six weeks of cold storage before they are ripe.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- When is the best time to seed native grasses such as streambank and western wheatgrass into an existing Kentucky Bluegrass lawn? Some of what I've read leads me to believe that it would be best to seed in late fall so the seed will germinate in the spring. But I wonder if it would be better to seed in early fall after stressing the KBG. I will also be seeding sheep fescue, but I've seen conflicting information on whether that is native or introduced. My goal is to have a lawn that can survive with no water, and stay green with very little water.
- What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?