Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
Rate This FAQ
I cannot be certain about which insect may be eating your basil without seeing a sample of the injury, but my best guess is earwigs because this insect is a common pest on basil and many other garden plants. They feed at night. You may be able to determine if earwigs are the problem by checking your plants at night with a flashlight. Earwigs are elongate brown insects with a large pair of pincers on their tail end. Here is a link to an answer to a frequently asked question about earwig problems on the Utah Pests web page:
After reading the description of earwig injury you may be able to identify if this is the type of injury that you are seeing. If you feel that you are having other pest problems, you may want to submit a sample of the injury to your basil to the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratory in Logan, UT. Here is a link to the UPPDL web page with instructions on how to submit a sample:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- Should I cut back my perennials for winter? High Country Gardens says to wait until early-mid spring, but that is contrary to what I have been doing. It is true that I suffer some loss each spring.
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- Do you have information on spring-blooming perennials?
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- How can I safely dispose of excess pesticides, including herbicides?
- Is the use of manure safe for the vegetable garden?