Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
Rate This FAQ
I cannot be certain about which insect may be eating your basil without seeing a sample of the injury, but my best guess is earwigs because this insect is a common pest on basil and many other garden plants. They feed at night. You may be able to determine if earwigs are the problem by checking your plants at night with a flashlight. Earwigs are elongate brown insects with a large pair of pincers on their tail end. Here is a link to an answer to a frequently asked question about earwig problems on the Utah Pests web page:
After reading the description of earwig injury you may be able to identify if this is the type of injury that you are seeing. If you feel that you are having other pest problems, you may want to submit a sample of the injury to your basil to the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratory in Logan, UT. Here is a link to the UPPDL web page with instructions on how to submit a sample:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- I live in Dayton,Id. I seem to have a lot of trouble with blossom end rot on my tomatoes. What could I be doing wrong? To much water not enough or wrong fertilizer? Need suggestions.
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- How much sunlight do my raspberries need?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- When do I pick my watermelon?
- I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?