Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
Rate This FAQ
I cannot be certain about which insect may be eating your basil without seeing a sample of the injury, but my best guess is earwigs because this insect is a common pest on basil and many other garden plants. They feed at night. You may be able to determine if earwigs are the problem by checking your plants at night with a flashlight. Earwigs are elongate brown insects with a large pair of pincers on their tail end. Here is a link to an answer to a frequently asked question about earwig problems on the Utah Pests web page:
After reading the description of earwig injury you may be able to identify if this is the type of injury that you are seeing. If you feel that you are having other pest problems, you may want to submit a sample of the injury to your basil to the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratory in Logan, UT. Here is a link to the UPPDL web page with instructions on how to submit a sample:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
- I am wrapping up my garden for the year. I have been looking at adding horse manure to my garden soil to boost the organic matter in it. This year I added NutriMulch (turkey manure blend) and that worked out well, but was expensive. I'm concerned about the soil quality. I notice that it's pretty hard when in big dry clods. Would I be hurting my garden to add green horse manure now, and tilling it in? I've read a little about deficiencies in the soil because of too much horse manure, so if it's safe or even a good idea to add to a garden, how much is the right amount?
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- In preparing my soil for vegetable gardening, I've added too much chemical fertilizer. I haven't planted anything yet. Is it too late to fix this?
- What do I do about squash bugs?
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.