Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
Rate This FAQ
I cannot be certain about which insect may be eating your basil without seeing a sample of the injury, but my best guess is earwigs because this insect is a common pest on basil and many other garden plants. They feed at night. You may be able to determine if earwigs are the problem by checking your plants at night with a flashlight. Earwigs are elongate brown insects with a large pair of pincers on their tail end. Here is a link to an answer to a frequently asked question about earwig problems on the Utah Pests web page:
After reading the description of earwig injury you may be able to identify if this is the type of injury that you are seeing. If you feel that you are having other pest problems, you may want to submit a sample of the injury to your basil to the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratory in Logan, UT. Here is a link to the UPPDL web page with instructions on how to submit a sample:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
- I have heard that black walnut sawdust should not be used in composting. People have told me it is poisonous to other plants. Is that true. I have several bushels of sawdust and would hate to send it to the land fill, but don't want to poison my garden either.
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- Do you have information on water-wise annuals?
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.