Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
Rate This FAQ
Leaf scorch. During sunny, hot, dry, windy weather, excessive transpiration from plant leaves can lead to scorch. Plant cells furthest from water-supplying veins may dry to death, turning the tissue brown. Leaf scorch is worse when leaf tissue is already weakened, as from iron chlorosis. Leaf scorch may also result from root rot (over-watering), salty soil or poor-quality irrigation water, or damage to the roots or trunk.
Recommendation: Rule of thumb, when top 2 – 3 inches of soil dries out around the plant, water deeply. Cover the entire tree root zone as well as possible, applying about 1 to 2 inches of water that soaks in gradually. Mulch 2” – 3” deep over entire root zone to retain soil moisture and eliminate competition from turf.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When should I be pruning my roses?
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- We planted a new yard with several pine trees this last Fall - including sub-alpine, a young cedar, douglas fir, and a couple of sequioa .... along with the traditional small conifer bushes. With the recent wind and the sensitivies of the sub-alpines and sequoia I wanted to be sure that I fertilized, etc., a needed (watered them a little today due to strong winds).
- What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- How is the best way to kill morning glory weeds in a new lawn?
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?