Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
Rate This FAQ
Leaf scorch. During sunny, hot, dry, windy weather, excessive transpiration from plant leaves can lead to scorch. Plant cells furthest from water-supplying veins may dry to death, turning the tissue brown. Leaf scorch is worse when leaf tissue is already weakened, as from iron chlorosis. Leaf scorch may also result from root rot (over-watering), salty soil or poor-quality irrigation water, or damage to the roots or trunk.
Recommendation: Rule of thumb, when top 2 – 3 inches of soil dries out around the plant, water deeply. Cover the entire tree root zone as well as possible, applying about 1 to 2 inches of water that soaks in gradually. Mulch 2” – 3” deep over entire root zone to retain soil moisture and eliminate competition from turf.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?
- I have 30 acres of dry farm high on the west side of cache valley and would like like to cover it with many trees that are likely to survive and will eventually provide shade. What should I plant?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- My lawn is really struggling with the heat and drought. Is there a point when it just won't recover?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?