Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
Rate This FAQ
Leaf scorch. During sunny, hot, dry, windy weather, excessive transpiration from plant leaves can lead to scorch. Plant cells furthest from water-supplying veins may dry to death, turning the tissue brown. Leaf scorch is worse when leaf tissue is already weakened, as from iron chlorosis. Leaf scorch may also result from root rot (over-watering), salty soil or poor-quality irrigation water, or damage to the roots or trunk.
Recommendation: Rule of thumb, when top 2 – 3 inches of soil dries out around the plant, water deeply. Cover the entire tree root zone as well as possible, applying about 1 to 2 inches of water that soaks in gradually. Mulch 2” – 3” deep over entire root zone to retain soil moisture and eliminate competition from turf.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why are my cherries wormy?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- Do you have tips for naturalizing a landscape with bulbs?
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?