Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
Rate This FAQ
Leaf scorch. During sunny, hot, dry, windy weather, excessive transpiration from plant leaves can lead to scorch. Plant cells furthest from water-supplying veins may dry to death, turning the tissue brown. Leaf scorch is worse when leaf tissue is already weakened, as from iron chlorosis. Leaf scorch may also result from root rot (over-watering), salty soil or poor-quality irrigation water, or damage to the roots or trunk.
Recommendation: Rule of thumb, when top 2 – 3 inches of soil dries out around the plant, water deeply. Cover the entire tree root zone as well as possible, applying about 1 to 2 inches of water that soaks in gradually. Mulch 2” – 3” deep over entire root zone to retain soil moisture and eliminate competition from turf.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I prune my roses?
- I have read that one should water infrequently and then water to penetrate 6 to 10 inches especially if one has necrotic ring spot. I live in Sandy where the top soil is only four inches and then sand and rock. Does it make sense to water 6 to 8 inches? Also does necrotic ring spot live in sandy rocky soil? Is it possible to control or eliminate the necrotic ring spot by using a service or must I excavate and if so to what extent?
- I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
- What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- What is anthracnose?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?