Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
Rate This FAQ
Leaf scorch. During sunny, hot, dry, windy weather, excessive transpiration from plant leaves can lead to scorch. Plant cells furthest from water-supplying veins may dry to death, turning the tissue brown. Leaf scorch is worse when leaf tissue is already weakened, as from iron chlorosis. Leaf scorch may also result from root rot (over-watering), salty soil or poor-quality irrigation water, or damage to the roots or trunk.
Recommendation: Rule of thumb, when top 2 – 3 inches of soil dries out around the plant, water deeply. Cover the entire tree root zone as well as possible, applying about 1 to 2 inches of water that soaks in gradually. Mulch 2” – 3” deep over entire root zone to retain soil moisture and eliminate competition from turf.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- I am purchasing a 30 year old home with three large (15+ feet) blue spruce trees growing in the front yard. I would prefer not to cut them down, is it possible to transplant a large blue spruce in Utah? If so, who would do it and who would want them?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- I was surprised when I recently spotted a snake in my yard. Aren't they most active in the fall?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?
- There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?