Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prune my roses?
Rate This FAQ
In late summer, leave rose hips (spent flowers) on the rose canes until the annual fall pruning when old blossoms are removed and long and damaged canes are cut back. Mulch around the plants after the ground freezes. In spring, prune Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras leaving 5 to 6 canes, 12 to 24 inches tall. For more blooms prune back lightly; extensive pruning will give less but bigger blooms. When pruning back, cut ¼ inch above an outward facing bud at a 45 degree angle and leave the center of the rose bush open.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- I am in West Valley city, and for the past 3 years my grass has looked really good, and last year, the entire front park lane died, and I now have large areas in the front yard that are dead as well. I have heard of grubs, however I have no idea how to identify what is going on with the grass or how to treat it. You can pull up larges patches of grass easily, there don't appear to be any roots in some areas and I would like my grass to be pretty again. What can you recommend?
- I live in Toquerville, 20 miles north of St. George, but still just as hot. I'd like to plant a medium to large tree in my front yard to shade the garage a little. There is no grass, no regular water. I will be watering it by hand/hose until it's established & then would like something that could tolerate hot, dry summers. Maybe the Texas Honey Mesquite or African Sumac. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- How do I keep stray animals out of my yard?
- What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?