Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prune my roses?
Rate This FAQ
In late summer, leave rose hips (spent flowers) on the rose canes until the annual fall pruning when old blossoms are removed and long and damaged canes are cut back. Mulch around the plants after the ground freezes. In spring, prune Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras leaving 5 to 6 canes, 12 to 24 inches tall. For more blooms prune back lightly; extensive pruning will give less but bigger blooms. When pruning back, cut ¼ inch above an outward facing bud at a 45 degree angle and leave the center of the rose bush open.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?