Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prune my roses?
Rate This FAQ
In late summer, leave rose hips (spent flowers) on the rose canes until the annual fall pruning when old blossoms are removed and long and damaged canes are cut back. Mulch around the plants after the ground freezes. In spring, prune Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras leaving 5 to 6 canes, 12 to 24 inches tall. For more blooms prune back lightly; extensive pruning will give less but bigger blooms. When pruning back, cut ¼ inch above an outward facing bud at a 45 degree angle and leave the center of the rose bush open.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- I have a curly willow that was topped about four years ago. Now it needs to be trimmed. Can I cut the branches back to where they were cut last?
- I made the mistake of fertilizing my newly planted trees. I had heard that the salty, clay soil I have needs iron useable for the trees. I used chelated. Anyway two of the trees, a candian red cherry and a zelkova tree have dry crispy leaves on the north side of the tree. We have had very hot, windy weather. I have two other canadian cherries that look fine.
- Do you have tips for naturalizing a landscape with bulbs?
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).