Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
Rate This FAQ
Your young peach tree could have suffered some winter dieback, especially if a lot of the branch tips are black. It could also have severe iron chlorosis or peach twig borer. If the latter, there are several chemicals you could use including Dipel, Sevin, Ortho Bug-B-Gone, Malathion, Concern Multi-Purpose, Ferti-Lome, Green Light, Natural Guard, or GF-120. A dormant oil spray with insecticide applied when the flower buds are swollen, but not opened is beneficial. The insecticide alone (no dormant oil added) should be applied between June 21 and 26th.
You also mentioned that the leaves are yellowing and turning brown. If the veins are a darker green color, you probably have iron chlorosis. Severe Iron chlorosis will cause the tree to die, starting at the ends of the branches. To correct this, you should watch your watering. In our alkaline clay soils, the water ties up the iron. You should also add chelated iron in the spring at leaf bud swell. By the time all the leaves are full size, adding the iron doesn't do much good.
If you brought in a sample of your branch, we could tell whether it is iron chlorosis, winter damage or twig borer. It does cost $1. and our office is open Mon-Fri 8-5. For further information, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- When do I harvest my pumpkins or squash?
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- Moved to a new location in Riverton and started a garden. This spring I added compost and steer manure. The garden is watered using secondary irrigation. The leaves on the beans, corn, and strawberries turn yellow with a burned look on the outer edges of the leaves and then the plant dies. The tomatoes and melon plants all seem to be doing well. Any idea's?
- Should I rotate my vegetable crops?
- do ants eat one another?