Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
Rate This FAQ
Your young peach tree could have suffered some winter dieback, especially if a lot of the branch tips are black. It could also have severe iron chlorosis or peach twig borer. If the latter, there are several chemicals you could use including Dipel, Sevin, Ortho Bug-B-Gone, Malathion, Concern Multi-Purpose, Ferti-Lome, Green Light, Natural Guard, or GF-120. A dormant oil spray with insecticide applied when the flower buds are swollen, but not opened is beneficial. The insecticide alone (no dormant oil added) should be applied between June 21 and 26th.
You also mentioned that the leaves are yellowing and turning brown. If the veins are a darker green color, you probably have iron chlorosis. Severe Iron chlorosis will cause the tree to die, starting at the ends of the branches. To correct this, you should watch your watering. In our alkaline clay soils, the water ties up the iron. You should also add chelated iron in the spring at leaf bud swell. By the time all the leaves are full size, adding the iron doesn't do much good.
If you brought in a sample of your branch, we could tell whether it is iron chlorosis, winter damage or twig borer. It does cost $1. and our office is open Mon-Fri 8-5. For further information, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- Do you have information on water-wise annuals?
- I have a lot of earwigs and spiders in my garden and flower beds. How can I kill them off without making my bed unsafe to plant vegetables in the future?
- My squash plants turned white and wilted this summer. What happened?
- I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- Is the use of manure safe for the vegetable garden?