Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
Rate This FAQ
Your young peach tree could have suffered some winter dieback, especially if a lot of the branch tips are black. It could also have severe iron chlorosis or peach twig borer. If the latter, there are several chemicals you could use including Dipel, Sevin, Ortho Bug-B-Gone, Malathion, Concern Multi-Purpose, Ferti-Lome, Green Light, Natural Guard, or GF-120. A dormant oil spray with insecticide applied when the flower buds are swollen, but not opened is beneficial. The insecticide alone (no dormant oil added) should be applied between June 21 and 26th.
You also mentioned that the leaves are yellowing and turning brown. If the veins are a darker green color, you probably have iron chlorosis. Severe Iron chlorosis will cause the tree to die, starting at the ends of the branches. To correct this, you should watch your watering. In our alkaline clay soils, the water ties up the iron. You should also add chelated iron in the spring at leaf bud swell. By the time all the leaves are full size, adding the iron doesn't do much good.
If you brought in a sample of your branch, we could tell whether it is iron chlorosis, winter damage or twig borer. It does cost $1. and our office is open Mon-Fri 8-5. For further information, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Are pine needles a good top mulch or addition to my compost pile? Others have said pine needles are poisonous. I live in Washington Terrace and my soil is sandy by nature.
- We have some shrubs in front of our senior center. Some are brown, others are perfectly green, and one is half green and half brown. I've taken three pictures I can e-mail if you want. Could you possibly help me diagnose the problem?
- I understand you have a service where you email spraying and care schedules to homeowners for home gardens and fruit trees. If so I would like to sign up. Please send me the info. Thanks, Mike
- Why do my tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom?
- How many ears of corn grow on one stalk?
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
- I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the planting schedule for Utah. Could you also tell me gardening plants that tend to grow better than others here in Utah? Thank you
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?