Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is a pre-emergent and a post-emergent?
Rate This FAQ
A pre-emergent herbicide kills plants as they emerge (seeds) from the soil, and a post-emergent works after the plants are growing. There are non-selective herbicides (kill all plant life) and selective herbicides which either kill only broadleaf or only grassy plants. Carefully read instructions on chemical container so herbicide damage will not occur on plants that are near by in the landscape.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I conserve water and still have a nice lawn?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
- I am an architect, working with a client who wants to hydroseed a 2.5 acre parcel for use as a softball field. The area is currently planted in alfalfa. There will be some regrading (both cut and fill) of the field that will be required. The client would still like to hydroseed this year, likely near the end of September. Do we need to call for the alfalfa to be treated with a herbicide? If so, what is the process, and what herbicide should be used? Is there a waiting period between application of the herbicide and the hydroseeding? Must the herbicide be applied to the above-grade plants, or can the site first be cleared, then the herbicide applied to the gound and roots?
- How do I kill gophers in my lawn?
- I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.
- Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?