Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I spray my lawn for weeds?
Rate This FAQ
Broadleaf weeds usually appear in lawns early in May. Pre-emergent herbicides may be applied before then to help prevent weed establishment. Once weeds have emerged, use a post-emergent type of herbicide.
In lawns, kill broadleaf (non-grassy) weeds with broadleaf weed killers. NOTE: Herbicides containing 2,4-D or should not be applied when the temperature is above 85 degrees F. or when weather is windy. In areas where complete vegetative control is needed, glyphosate (Roundup) will kill almost all living plants. Overspray of glyphosate can severely damage non-target plants. Follow label instructions when using any chemical sprays.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?