Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I spray my lawn for weeds?
Rate This FAQ
Broadleaf weeds usually appear in lawns early in May. Pre-emergent herbicides may be applied before then to help prevent weed establishment. Once weeds have emerged, use a post-emergent type of herbicide.
In lawns, kill broadleaf (non-grassy) weeds with broadleaf weed killers. NOTE: Herbicides containing 2,4-D or should not be applied when the temperature is above 85 degrees F. or when weather is windy. In areas where complete vegetative control is needed, glyphosate (Roundup) will kill almost all living plants. Overspray of glyphosate can severely damage non-target plants. Follow label instructions when using any chemical sprays.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have clover infesting our grass. Each clover plant has these pod-like objects, that when picked or brushed up against causes white larva-like and red seeds to hop or pop off. The red seeds stick to skin and clothing and is irritating to the skin. The clovers also have little yellow flowers that sprout. How do we get rid of these clovers so we might play and use our lawn again. How do you keep them from coming back?
- There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
- I have rings in my lawn that are about two feet wide. I suspect they are fairy ring, but the description for fairy ring doesn't quite fit. The inside of the circle is not lush and green, it looks the same as the rest of the lawn. There is just a semi-dead cirle surrounding good lawn. Do you have any help for me.
- What is a pre-emergent and a post-emergent?
- I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- I have raspberry plants that have grown to where they will be bearing this summer. And wouldn't you know it, we are moving. I want to dig them up just before we move, say in middle to late February. Can I put them in the same type of packaging they came in when purchased and then plant them in the spring when the ground thaws. Will they still bear fruit this year?
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?