Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I get rid of wild morning glory?
Rate This FAQ
This weed is correctly called field bindweed. It is a very difficult and persistent problem. The plant propagates by seed and underground rhizomes. Early “weeding” of young plants reduces and sometimes eliminates their growth. However, established plants with a deep root system are extremely hard to control and a broadleaf weed killer should be applied during the blooming season or in the fall after the first frost.
Recommendation: Grow a vigorous lawn to compete against bindweed, or apply mulch 3 inches deep over it. Occasionally pull sprouts or spot-treat with perennial-rate glyphosate.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?
- Do you have tips for naturalizing a landscape with bulbs?
- I am an architect, working with a client who wants to hydroseed a 2.5 acre parcel for use as a softball field. The area is currently planted in alfalfa. There will be some regrading (both cut and fill) of the field that will be required. The client would still like to hydroseed this year, likely near the end of September. Do we need to call for the alfalfa to be treated with a herbicide? If so, what is the process, and what herbicide should be used? Is there a waiting period between application of the herbicide and the hydroseeding? Must the herbicide be applied to the above-grade plants, or can the site first be cleared, then the herbicide applied to the gound and roots?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?