Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Assuming there is no evidence of insect damage at crown or root level or damage from dog urine, it is probably one of two fungal diseases:
NECROTIC RING SPOT, is a cool season disease, becomes evident during March through May and September through November, particularly on 2 to 5-year-old bluegrass lawns established from sod. Showing as dead circles or arches of browning lawn, ranging in size from a few inches to several feet surrounded by a patch of green lawn, giving a doughnut appearance.
SUMMER PATCH is a warm season disease, becoming evident May through September with symptoms similar to necrotic ring spot.
Recommendation: Treatment for fungal diseases:
1) control thatch buildup with regular core aeration (at least once a year).
2) water less frequently but to greater depth (soil should be moistened 8 – 10 inches deep)
3) remove layers of leaves from lawn during winter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- We have clover infesting our grass. Each clover plant has these pod-like objects, that when picked or brushed up against causes white larva-like and red seeds to hop or pop off. The red seeds stick to skin and clothing and is irritating to the skin. The clovers also have little yellow flowers that sprout. How do we get rid of these clovers so we might play and use our lawn again. How do you keep them from coming back?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
- How do I know when to pick my fruit?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?