Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Assuming there is no evidence of insect damage at crown or root level or damage from dog urine, it is probably one of two fungal diseases:
NECROTIC RING SPOT, is a cool season disease, becomes evident during March through May and September through November, particularly on 2 to 5-year-old bluegrass lawns established from sod. Showing as dead circles or arches of browning lawn, ranging in size from a few inches to several feet surrounded by a patch of green lawn, giving a doughnut appearance.
SUMMER PATCH is a warm season disease, becoming evident May through September with symptoms similar to necrotic ring spot.
Recommendation: Treatment for fungal diseases:
1) control thatch buildup with regular core aeration (at least once a year).
2) water less frequently but to greater depth (soil should be moistened 8 – 10 inches deep)
3) remove layers of leaves from lawn during winter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- I made the mistake of fertilizing my newly planted trees. I had heard that the salty, clay soil I have needs iron useable for the trees. I used chelated. Anyway two of the trees, a candian red cherry and a zelkova tree have dry crispy leaves on the north side of the tree. We have had very hot, windy weather. I have two other canadian cherries that look fine.
- Do you have tips on firewise landscaping?
- Is it healthy for Kentucky Bluegrass to be kept at a cutting height of 2 inches if a reel mower (as opposed to a mower with rotary blades) is used?
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?