Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Assuming there is no evidence of insect damage at crown or root level or damage from dog urine, it is probably one of two fungal diseases:
NECROTIC RING SPOT, is a cool season disease, becomes evident during March through May and September through November, particularly on 2 to 5-year-old bluegrass lawns established from sod. Showing as dead circles or arches of browning lawn, ranging in size from a few inches to several feet surrounded by a patch of green lawn, giving a doughnut appearance.
SUMMER PATCH is a warm season disease, becoming evident May through September with symptoms similar to necrotic ring spot.
Recommendation: Treatment for fungal diseases:
1) control thatch buildup with regular core aeration (at least once a year).
2) water less frequently but to greater depth (soil should be moistened 8 – 10 inches deep)
3) remove layers of leaves from lawn during winter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- I have many large 20-25 feet scrub oak trees on my property. I would like to thin and prune them from the tops in order for them to look like the lower scrub oak I have seen in the area, about 10-15 feet. How low can I cut them from their tops without injuring them and what is the best time of year to do so?
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?
- What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?