Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Assuming there is no evidence of insect damage at crown or root level or damage from dog urine, it is probably one of two fungal diseases:
NECROTIC RING SPOT, is a cool season disease, becomes evident during March through May and September through November, particularly on 2 to 5-year-old bluegrass lawns established from sod. Showing as dead circles or arches of browning lawn, ranging in size from a few inches to several feet surrounded by a patch of green lawn, giving a doughnut appearance.
SUMMER PATCH is a warm season disease, becoming evident May through September with symptoms similar to necrotic ring spot.
Recommendation: Treatment for fungal diseases:
1) control thatch buildup with regular core aeration (at least once a year).
2) water less frequently but to greater depth (soil should be moistened 8 – 10 inches deep)
3) remove layers of leaves from lawn during winter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?
- How is the best way to kill morning glory weeds in a new lawn?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- We live in West Jordan in an area with very clay soil. We would like to plant some low-lying evergreen shrubs in a narrow strip between our RV pad and a short vinyl fence. Do you have any plant recommendations that will work in our soil and don't require a lot of maintenence?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?