Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?
Rate This FAQ
Most likely. Iron chlorosis is the most common micronutrient problem in our area. There is abundant iron in our soil. However, due to the high pH (alkaline soil) it is unavailable to some of our plants. In advanced stages of iron chlorosis, leaves turn yellow between green veins. Chlorotic areas may then scorch and die back. Without iron, the plants cannot manufacture chlorophyll, the green stuff of leaves. Peaches, apples, raspberries, roses and many other plants are affected by this problem. Iron chlorosis may be aggravated by heavy soils, overwatering, and high levels of phosphorous in the soil.
Recommendation: In early spring (before leaf break) apply iron chelate near the plant roots. If iron chlorosis persists during the summer, spray leaves with a liquid formulation of chelated iron, but never during the hot part of the day. Follow all label directions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am buying a new house in Salt Lake County, and the entire back yard is weeds. I want to put in a garden towards the back and fill in the rest with grass. What is the best way to kill the weeds completely, without killing the new grass and affecting the garden?
- What is killing the aspen trees in our forests?
- Do you have tips for making my yard more colorful this spring?
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run