Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?
Rate This FAQ
Most likely. Iron chlorosis is the most common micronutrient problem in our area. There is abundant iron in our soil. However, due to the high pH (alkaline soil) it is unavailable to some of our plants. In advanced stages of iron chlorosis, leaves turn yellow between green veins. Chlorotic areas may then scorch and die back. Without iron, the plants cannot manufacture chlorophyll, the green stuff of leaves. Peaches, apples, raspberries, roses and many other plants are affected by this problem. Iron chlorosis may be aggravated by heavy soils, overwatering, and high levels of phosphorous in the soil.
Recommendation: In early spring (before leaf break) apply iron chelate near the plant roots. If iron chlorosis persists during the summer, spray leaves with a liquid formulation of chelated iron, but never during the hot part of the day. Follow all label directions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.
- We have a lot of scrub oak around our home. In some spots we have some ground cover and other area are bare. We would like to add a nice ground cover to mix in with the oak in these bare areas. Do you have suggestions for ground cover? Also, in one particular area, we have a large amount of grass growing in the ground cover surrounding the scrub oak. What is the best way to get rid of this grass? Is there a ground cover that can overtake the grass?
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
- There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
- Do you have tips on firewise landscaping?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?