Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?
Rate This FAQ
Most likely. Iron chlorosis is the most common micronutrient problem in our area. There is abundant iron in our soil. However, due to the high pH (alkaline soil) it is unavailable to some of our plants. In advanced stages of iron chlorosis, leaves turn yellow between green veins. Chlorotic areas may then scorch and die back. Without iron, the plants cannot manufacture chlorophyll, the green stuff of leaves. Peaches, apples, raspberries, roses and many other plants are affected by this problem. Iron chlorosis may be aggravated by heavy soils, overwatering, and high levels of phosphorous in the soil.
Recommendation: In early spring (before leaf break) apply iron chelate near the plant roots. If iron chlorosis persists during the summer, spray leaves with a liquid formulation of chelated iron, but never during the hot part of the day. Follow all label directions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I prune my roses?
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- I am buying a new house in Salt Lake County, and the entire back yard is weeds. I want to put in a garden towards the back and fill in the rest with grass. What is the best way to kill the weeds completely, without killing the new grass and affecting the garden?
- I have rings in my lawn that are about two feet wide. I suspect they are fairy ring, but the description for fairy ring doesn't quite fit. The inside of the circle is not lush and green, it looks the same as the rest of the lawn. There is just a semi-dead cirle surrounding good lawn. Do you have any help for me.
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
- My euonymus has a white powdery film on the leaves, what is it?