Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?
Rate This FAQ
Most likely. Iron chlorosis is the most common micronutrient problem in our area. There is abundant iron in our soil. However, due to the high pH (alkaline soil) it is unavailable to some of our plants. In advanced stages of iron chlorosis, leaves turn yellow between green veins. Chlorotic areas may then scorch and die back. Without iron, the plants cannot manufacture chlorophyll, the green stuff of leaves. Peaches, apples, raspberries, roses and many other plants are affected by this problem. Iron chlorosis may be aggravated by heavy soils, overwatering, and high levels of phosphorous in the soil.
Recommendation: In early spring (before leaf break) apply iron chelate near the plant roots. If iron chlorosis persists during the summer, spray leaves with a liquid formulation of chelated iron, but never during the hot part of the day. Follow all label directions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- Do you have tips for making my yard more colorful this spring?
- I was surprised when I recently spotted a snake in my yard. Aren't they most active in the fall?
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- I have large steep slop in my backyard. I would like to plant a ground cover from seed. Is this possible. If so what kind would be best to keep weeds and bay, grow quickly and look appealing? I was wonder if Vinca Major or St johns wart would work? Thanks for your time Milt
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?