Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?
Rate This FAQ
I believe the weed you are concerned with is puncturevine, Tribulus terrestris. It typically grows on the edges of unhealthy lawns. It can stretch across a sidewalk, if not controlled, and also clog the gutters along the sides of highways. While most weeds grow upward, this one stretches out along the ground. The major nuisance from puncture weeds is just as its name implies -- its thorny pods are sharp and can be harmful. Puncturevine reproduces completely by seeds and these seeds can remain dormant for up to five years. Regular weed control each growing season by manual removal or tillage and cultivation of newly germinated plant before it goes to seed, you can use an old piece of carpet, slid along the ground, to help pick seeds up. Eliminating the seeds will prevent more plants germinating the following years.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have been told by a tree care company that my ash trees are infected with bores. They can be treated, and the trees should survive. Though my internet research I found ample information on emerald ash bore, however, that the research was largely on trees in Michigan. Would I have emerald ash bores, or do another type of bore exist in Utah? The tree care company suggested treatment in the spring, and another in the summer. Does that sound appropriate?
- I live in Sanpete county. The winters are very cold and I frequently have winter kill of my roses, and perennials, especially on the South side of the house. Could you give me a basic "Yard & Home Winterization" list of things to do to prevent this and other winter issues?
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
- Our golden delicious apple tree drops fruit through the entire season. What are we doing wrong? It is located in our garden area and gets plenty of water. Thank you for your help.
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
- I planted 5 flowering pear trees. The leaves are drying out and dying. What can I do to make sure the trees do not die from transplant shock?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- I have some cucumbers I bought from the nursery in a small container about 3 weeks ago. I transplanted them to a larger container. I move them in the garage at night and back out to the driveway during the day. The leaves and stems are turning light green and have dry white places on them. Are they getting sun scalded, am I watering them too much, not enough fertilizer?