Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
Rate This FAQ
N-P-K. The first number (N) is nitrogen is an important element for leaf growth, color and development. Phosphorus (P) is used by the plant for root development and seed production. Potassium (K) is used by the plant for disease resistance, hardiness and sugars. Sometimes a fourth number may follow the third, indicating presence of another element like sulphur, iron or zinc. Federal and State laws require all fertilizer labels to represent the actual percentage of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium by weight. Thus, ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) contains 21% nitrogen by weight and provides neither P nor K.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- I have a very large, beautiful Cottonwood tree on my property, that is near the property line with my neighbor. She wants to put in a new fence, because the tree has been pushing up the posts for her old fence. The fencing company has said that they can put in a new fence, but they will have to "shave off" a bit of the tree trunk and possibly some of the root near the surface of the ground. I am worried that something like that could lead to the tree getting sick or dying. I want to keep peace among neighbors, but it would be a disaster and very expensive to lose the tree because of something likethis. Can you please tell me if a Cottonwood tree is hardy enough to withstand such a "shaving" procedure?
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- How do I kill gophers in my lawn?
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
- What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?