Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
Rate This FAQ
N-P-K. The first number (N) is nitrogen is an important element for leaf growth, color and development. Phosphorus (P) is used by the plant for root development and seed production. Potassium (K) is used by the plant for disease resistance, hardiness and sugars. Sometimes a fourth number may follow the third, indicating presence of another element like sulphur, iron or zinc. Federal and State laws require all fertilizer labels to represent the actual percentage of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium by weight. Thus, ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) contains 21% nitrogen by weight and provides neither P nor K.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have many large 20-25 feet scrub oak trees on my property. I would like to thin and prune them from the tops in order for them to look like the lower scrub oak I have seen in the area, about 10-15 feet. How low can I cut them from their tops without injuring them and what is the best time of year to do so?
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- I live in South Jordan. 4 1/2 years ago I started watering my yard with gray water (irrigation) due to the cost of water. Since that time I have lost 6 red twig dogwoods, 7 blue arctic willows,3 spireas, a pine tree and a Japanese maple. Everything else does not look good (other trees, bushes and perennials). In the spring it all starts out green but by June everything has brown edges on yellowing leaves and the trees have several dead branches. Could the gray water be the culprit? Everything was at least 6 years old, lush, and healthy until I changed my water. I am afraid I will lose everything else this summer if I don't find a cure for this. I could you use some answers. Thank you.
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- I'm getting ready to plant grass in my back yard either this fall or in the spring. I'm wondering if dwarf fescue will grow well here in Springville, or if I would be better off planting bluegrass? I had dewarf fescue in Southern California and really liked it.
- I have a son that lives in west Eagle Mt. We Put in sod for a lawn about two years ago and for two seasons it did great. Half of it is now dead and the other half is struggling. Prior to putting down sod, the ground was thoroughly tilled and lots of compost material was added (the kind that is made available in some green recycling yards and mixed with treated effluent from the sewage treatment plant.) Nitrogen was also added to the soil and the lawn was watered regularly. What has happened and what can I do to get a good lawn here?