Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
Rate This FAQ
N-P-K. The first number (N) is nitrogen is an important element for leaf growth, color and development. Phosphorus (P) is used by the plant for root development and seed production. Potassium (K) is used by the plant for disease resistance, hardiness and sugars. Sometimes a fourth number may follow the third, indicating presence of another element like sulphur, iron or zinc. Federal and State laws require all fertilizer labels to represent the actual percentage of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium by weight. Thus, ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) contains 21% nitrogen by weight and provides neither P nor K.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- I have a scarlett red maple. It's about 8 years old and last year the leaves didn't get very big. This year, it hasn't even began to bloom yet although, It has tiny buds. I noticed that the bark in some places peels off very easily. Under the bark, it looks like there may be some black flecks (maybe bug feces). I only noticed one little red colored bug under where I peeled the bark. I don't see any other bugs anywhere, even at the base. Do you think it could have a disease or bugs? I am going to put some fertilizer steaks around it and pour some Bayer Advanced tree and shrub insect control around the base of the tree. Is it too late to spary it?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- When should I be pruning my roses?