Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
Rate This FAQ
N-P-K. The first number (N) is nitrogen is an important element for leaf growth, color and development. Phosphorus (P) is used by the plant for root development and seed production. Potassium (K) is used by the plant for disease resistance, hardiness and sugars. Sometimes a fourth number may follow the third, indicating presence of another element like sulphur, iron or zinc. Federal and State laws require all fertilizer labels to represent the actual percentage of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium by weight. Thus, ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) contains 21% nitrogen by weight and provides neither P nor K.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- I have rings in my lawn that are about two feet wide. I suspect they are fairy ring, but the description for fairy ring doesn't quite fit. The inside of the circle is not lush and green, it looks the same as the rest of the lawn. There is just a semi-dead cirle surrounding good lawn. Do you have any help for me.
- I am an architect, working with a client who wants to hydroseed a 2.5 acre parcel for use as a softball field. The area is currently planted in alfalfa. There will be some regrading (both cut and fill) of the field that will be required. The client would still like to hydroseed this year, likely near the end of September. Do we need to call for the alfalfa to be treated with a herbicide? If so, what is the process, and what herbicide should be used? Is there a waiting period between application of the herbicide and the hydroseeding? Must the herbicide be applied to the above-grade plants, or can the site first be cleared, then the herbicide applied to the gound and roots?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- When should I be pruning my roses?
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?