Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
Rate This FAQ
N-P-K. The first number (N) is nitrogen is an important element for leaf growth, color and development. Phosphorus (P) is used by the plant for root development and seed production. Potassium (K) is used by the plant for disease resistance, hardiness and sugars. Sometimes a fourth number may follow the third, indicating presence of another element like sulphur, iron or zinc. Federal and State laws require all fertilizer labels to represent the actual percentage of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium by weight. Thus, ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) contains 21% nitrogen by weight and provides neither P nor K.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- I have a curly willow that was topped about four years ago. Now it needs to be trimmed. Can I cut the branches back to where they were cut last?
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
- Do you have tips on firewise landscaping?
- Could you pleae identify the pine-like tree on the north side of our home? The needles are on two sides of the twig rather than on all four sides. They (the needles) are very soft and are dark green. At this time of the year (Sep), the trees bear red berries. The trees are approximately 35 years old and are 12-14 feet tall. Thank you very much for your assistance!
- There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?