Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?
Rate This FAQ
Without actually seeing the beetles, I'd say they are some type of June beetle (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Phyllophaga spp.). There are over 150 species of May/Junebugs in North America, and they vary greatly in their size and coloration.
These beetles do feed on various shrubs and trees, so they could become a problem. The larvae (white grubs) of these beetles feed on turfgrass roots below the soil. If you have damage caused by these you will see irregular patches of wilting grass, eventually turning brown. If you dig into the turfgrass below one of these patches, you should see white grubs with 3 pairs of legs, and will range in size from 1 to 2 inches depending on the species of beetle. If you do not see any damage on your landscape, there is no reason for alarm. Again, these beetles are abundant in North America and most will not cause serious damage. They are likely being attracted to your lights at night from surrounding areas, not necessarily your yard. You can collect the beetles and throw them into a bucket full of soapy bucket. If you feel you have an infested lawn I can recommend some treatments. Pleas let me know.
Please feel free to email me some more questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?
- I had some trouble with Squash Bugs attacking my Spagetti Squash. Now my plants looks as if it may have Cucurbit Yellow Vine Disease (CYVD). Should I try to deteremine if its really CYVD and if it is, what do I need to do?
- My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?
- I have a house in Kanab with a lot of Desert Poppies and Blue Flax Grass that is pretty tall surrounded by Junipers in the front yard. I think I may have Noseeums. If so how do I get rid of them? I got bit up pretty bad last weekend working in the yard.
- I have tons of ants outside my house. When I am weeding I run into them. I have put down some diazion and they are still there always in the same spots. Is there anything I can use outside to get rid of them permentaly. If I don't keep the diazion granules in my cracks in my garage they are always there to. I just want them gone.
- I've lived in Spanish Fork all my life and have never seen a beetle like this before...and they're suddenly all over our yard! The adults are about 1/3" long. They are either yellow-green or blue-green on their backs, with a small band of light tan (almost white) all the way around the outside edge. They don't fly. We find them usually running across the driveway and I've found a few in the flower gardens as I'm weeding.
- I was camping in Big Cottonwood Canyon this weekend. Sunday Morning a large beetle landed on my leg. I flicked it off. As we were taking down camp more of this same beetle kept landing on me. It had about and inch long body and almost double that with the antenna. I was hoping you could help me identify it and tips that may be useful for preventing them from pursuing me in the future.