Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
Rate This FAQ
Social wasps consist of three types --Queen, Workers and males. The Queen over-winters in protected sites. In the spring she builds a small nest and lays eggs, and as they hatch the colony increases and the nest becomes larger. Adult wasps capture insects to feed the young during the summer, and in the fall other sweet foods are eaten. All workers die prior to winter and the nest is not reused. Yellow jackets usually build their nests below ground, and they are very aggressive in defending their nests. Unlike honey bees these wasps can sting multiple times. Aerosol sprays and traps are effective controls, if the nests are treated at night when workers are in the nest.
European paper wasps resemble yellow jackets but are not attracted to yellowjacket traps.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why are my cherries wormy?
- I live in South Jordan. 4 1/2 years ago I started watering my yard with gray water (irrigation) due to the cost of water. Since that time I have lost 6 red twig dogwoods, 7 blue arctic willows,3 spireas, a pine tree and a Japanese maple. Everything else does not look good (other trees, bushes and perennials). In the spring it all starts out green but by June everything has brown edges on yellowing leaves and the trees have several dead branches. Could the gray water be the culprit? Everything was at least 6 years old, lush, and healthy until I changed my water. I am afraid I will lose everything else this summer if I don't find a cure for this. I could you use some answers. Thank you.
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- How can I tell when my pears are ripe?
- I saw a small, dark green, spruce tree planted next to the corner of a home in a nearby neighborhood. Are their dwarf varieties of this tree? It is not an dwarf Alberta Spuce- I have already verified this. If so, what are they called. I would like to find one for my yard.
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?