Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
Rate This FAQ
Social wasps consist of three types --Queen, Workers and males. The Queen over-winters in protected sites. In the spring she builds a small nest and lays eggs, and as they hatch the colony increases and the nest becomes larger. Adult wasps capture insects to feed the young during the summer, and in the fall other sweet foods are eaten. All workers die prior to winter and the nest is not reused. Yellow jackets usually build their nests below ground, and they are very aggressive in defending their nests. Unlike honey bees these wasps can sting multiple times. Aerosol sprays and traps are effective controls, if the nests are treated at night when workers are in the nest.
European paper wasps resemble yellow jackets but are not attracted to yellowjacket traps.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- How do I kill gophers in my lawn?
- Yesterday I applied "Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control" to my lawn. Unfortunately, I had the drop spreader set incorrectly. As a result I later discovered that I had accidently applied 4-5 times as much fertizer as specified on the bag. Will this damage the lawn? Is there anything I can do to prevent damage?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- Do you have some pruning tips for ornamental and shade trees?