Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
Rate This FAQ
Social wasps consist of three types --Queen, Workers and males. The Queen over-winters in protected sites. In the spring she builds a small nest and lays eggs, and as they hatch the colony increases and the nest becomes larger. Adult wasps capture insects to feed the young during the summer, and in the fall other sweet foods are eaten. All workers die prior to winter and the nest is not reused. Yellow jackets usually build their nests below ground, and they are very aggressive in defending their nests. Unlike honey bees these wasps can sting multiple times. Aerosol sprays and traps are effective controls, if the nests are treated at night when workers are in the nest.
European paper wasps resemble yellow jackets but are not attracted to yellowjacket traps.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- I have a large Pinion pine that we trimmed back the lower branches on last fall, The grass is not doing well there due to limited light, could I add a flower bed there instead, and if so what type of plants would do well in my VERY clay soil. Also isnt' there something about not planting flowers over/next to a tree trunk? thanks
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?