Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
Rate This FAQ
There are several species of pine trees and not so simple to diagnosis from your description. Generally, many of the pine trees have needle drop towards the interior of the tree, which is natural. The needles usually stay on the tree 2 or 3 years, and then drop off as the newer needles on the end of the branches grow. A majority of tree problems can be attribute to abiotic stresses - that is non living stresses including mechanical injury, chemical injury, weather, drought, improper watering.
Best to prune out dead or dying branches and if you can bring them into our county Extension office, we may have a long term recommendation for plant health care for your pine.
Our office is at 2001 South State, RM #S1200, Salt Lake City
Our website is http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- I have Morning glory though out my established lawn, how can I get rid of it?
- How do I eradicate an OLD ivy? This has a trunk like a small tree and vast growth on a wall. I'd like to put in a carport and have been hacking at this ivy but am concerned it will grow back. Can I paint the cut trunk to stop re-growth? Would a copper nail kill it? Thanks!
- I recently (spring 2009) planted a globe willow in Herriman, altitude 5300. I was told by an arborist that it should be okay as there are other successful globes in the foothills of the Quirrahs. It has now got leaves (May 2009) but they are getting yellow towards the mid to top and I suspect iron chlorosis. This is yellow, not the beautiful light green as usual.It gets good water and sun. It was planted with mixture of native clay, potting/planting soil and mulch including "mike" a good microorganism suggested for good plant rooting. Should I give it a dose of iron or let it be? Or us this normal? Help!
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- How can you tell if a fertilizer is a "slow-release"? What are the best NPK ratios for this area?
- I want to plant raspberries in my garden next spring but am confused. Which does better in Cache Valley: summer- or fall-bearing? The USU pub on raspberry production (HG/2004-16) says plant only Haida or Malling Joy, but I haven't found anything about these species on the web. Is this statement still valid? If so, are they fall- or summer-bearing? If not, what is your species suggestion?
- The leaves on our maple tree get little spikes on the top of it and then dry up and fall off. Can you tell me the problem and how we may solve it?