Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
Rate This FAQ
There are several species of pine trees and not so simple to diagnosis from your description. Generally, many of the pine trees have needle drop towards the interior of the tree, which is natural. The needles usually stay on the tree 2 or 3 years, and then drop off as the newer needles on the end of the branches grow. A majority of tree problems can be attribute to abiotic stresses - that is non living stresses including mechanical injury, chemical injury, weather, drought, improper watering.
Best to prune out dead or dying branches and if you can bring them into our county Extension office, we may have a long term recommendation for plant health care for your pine.
Our office is at 2001 South State, RM #S1200, Salt Lake City
Our website is http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My new lawn I had hydroseeded last year went to seed this year and and is still looking poorly is there anything I can do to bring it back to looking good again?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- Our blue spruce has been around for 30 years. but the new buds have no needles and they are brown. Even up the center of the tree is brown with no needles. My father has put a bed of rocks around it and I am not sure if it is affecting it. We also had two crimson maples and they lost all of their leaves half way through summer. This year there are no leaves at all. Do the trees have disease?
- How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- I want to plant raspberries in my garden next spring but am confused. Which does better in Cache Valley: summer- or fall-bearing? The USU pub on raspberry production (HG/2004-16) says plant only Haida or Malling Joy, but I haven't found anything about these species on the web. Is this statement still valid? If so, are they fall- or summer-bearing? If not, what is your species suggestion?
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.