Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
Rate This FAQ
There are several species of pine trees and not so simple to diagnosis from your description. Generally, many of the pine trees have needle drop towards the interior of the tree, which is natural. The needles usually stay on the tree 2 or 3 years, and then drop off as the newer needles on the end of the branches grow. A majority of tree problems can be attribute to abiotic stresses - that is non living stresses including mechanical injury, chemical injury, weather, drought, improper watering.
Best to prune out dead or dying branches and if you can bring them into our county Extension office, we may have a long term recommendation for plant health care for your pine.
Our office is at 2001 South State, RM #S1200, Salt Lake City
Our website is http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Sanpete county. The winters are very cold and I frequently have winter kill of my roses, and perennials, especially on the South side of the house. Could you give me a basic "Yard & Home Winterization" list of things to do to prevent this and other winter issues?
- I planted some fruit trees fall 2009 and am noticing tons of fruit on them already in this first year. I've heard I should pick them all and wait until the second year to let them mature. Is this right?
- I had to cut down a large Globe Willow tree in my back yard as it was growing into the power line. I have heard that it is dangerous to burn the wood from a Globe Willow in a fireplace as it emits toxic fumes. Is this true?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- We have creeping mountain sorrel in our lawn and can't get rid of it. Do you have any recommendations on products that might kill it, or any other ways to get rid of it?
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- We recently bought a home in Salt Lake city. The parking strip has very hard soil and weeds mixed with grass. Should we till it under and start over or air-rate it, keep it watered and sprinkle some grass seed on it in the fall or spring? We planted a sycomore tree (Bloodgood London Plane) and I think we stressed it by overwatering. About 50% of the leaves look sun scorched, some very dry and other leaves are green, full and lush, will it snap out of it? Should I air-rate the ground with a pitch fork around it?