Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Every spring I get larger black ants coming into my house mostly in the kitchen. I also see them outside the house and climbing around the base structure. I have determined that they are not termites. I tried using a bate last year but unlike all of the smaller colonies of ants that I gave the bate to (which I haven't seen in the house only in the driveway and sidewalks) which immediately started loading it up to take back to the nest, these ants weren't interested. Is there a reason? What kind of ant might they be and therefore what kind of bate do I need to use?
Rate This FAQ
If they are larger ants that don't respond well to baits, they are likely carpenter ants. Carpenter ants have a more diverse feeding habit than do some other common pest ants. They will eat protein, sugary things, and also vegetative material. Baits are formulated with specific eating habits in mind, and in some cases for a particular type of ant. Some of the carpenter ants may have picked up bait, but since they have such diverse eating habits they did not all swarm to it and take it back to the nest.
We might try using a gel and a granular bait that is geared more specifically toward carpenter ants. To really treat carpenter ants, though, you have to treat possible moisture issues in your house that keep them around.
In the meantime, I just finished a fact sheet on carpenter ants. You can access this fact sheet by copying and pasting this URL, http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/carpenter-ant08.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have been fighting a battle with snails and slugs for the past 10 years. I can't find diatomaceous earth that is free of serious pesticides and I can use around my vegetables. (It seems to be more like typical non-garden pesticide in the form I find it.) I also wonder about copper barriers and what sort of copper I could use for that.
- I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
- I have seen small white worms crawling on the fround around my home. Can you tell me what they are? They move very very slow and are in a group as they move.
- I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
- I live at the edge of a neighborhood bordering the mountains in North Ogden. The last week we have seen hundreds and hundreds of little beetle-like bugs that have six legs, two antennas and a green/black body with a bright orange border. It appears the adult version of the beetle is about 1/4 inch long and fairly round. I'm wondering what this bug is and what damage it can/will do. I have close-up photos that I'd be more than happy to provide. Can you please help me identify this pest?
- I have millions of tiny black jumping bugs in my garage. They go in and out of the cracks in the floors, all over the concrete, walls, etc. I see very few in the day time; However at night millions everywhere. I have tried every spay I know of but nothing seems to kill them. Please Help.
- I recently moved into a house. I noticed what I thought were little black ants didn't bother me I've delt with little black ants before. then I noticed that these little ants didn't have legs that stick out. then I noticed that they weren't ants. once in awhile I would see them when I swept the floor and occationaly I would see one or a few climbing up my wall. but now the really sad thing is they are all over in my Flour, My bags of rice and now i will have to throw it all out. What kind of a bug is it? it is about 1/4 inch long, very thin, and very black. Help me. And what do I need to do to get rid of it?
- Do you know of any pest control companies that have an effective treatment for controlling box elder bugs in the fall before they get in the house?