Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Mapleton. I have been reading about the James Pecan Tree, which is supposed to mature by September 1st and be okay in zone 5. What do you think about my trying to grow it here? How do they do?
Rate This FAQ
I am not personally acquainted with people who have grown the James early Pecan in Utah. I did look on the internet and found the "Alpine Newsline", a newsletter from Alpine, Utah. It has an excellent article that tells of one person's success in growing that exact variety. the article is complete with pictures and the problems they encountered, including theiving starlings. If they can grow them in Alpine, you should be able to grow them in Mapleton. The website address for the article is: www.alpinecity.org/PDF/NEWSLINE.November%202007.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to plant some fruit and nut bearing trees to assist us with our food supply. Are there some trees better than others?
- My new lawn I had hydroseeded last year went to seed this year and and is still looking poorly is there anything I can do to bring it back to looking good again?
- I have several large beds in which I would like to plant shrubs, perennials, and some annuals. I am wondering what, if any, weed barrier I should use for these beds. I have heard different opinions advocating weed fabric, newspaper, or no weed barrier at all other than a layer of bark/mulch. If a thick layer of mulch alone is virtually as effective as weed barrier, I would rather avoid the expense and hassle of laying the barrier. Which is the best option?
- I live out on the western edge of South Jordan. The home I just bought has very sandy/rocky soil. The lawn is an inch to inch and one half depth. I have decided to add at least four inches of topsoil to my back yard this fall and re-seed. The front yard is still worth saving. I have three questions. What is the best Ph level for my soil in this area and what type of seed will work best in high sun location such as the one I live in and last should I consider some type of organic treatment to my front yard to strengthen it and promote growth?
- I planted some fruit trees fall 2009 and am noticing tons of fruit on them already in this first year. I've heard I should pick them all and wait until the second year to let them mature. Is this right?
- I was told there was a worm that eats the goathead or Tribulus Terrestris is that true?
- In the past you've offered a lawn-problem analysis --- as I recall a sample was brought in to your office and a quick analysis was done --- is the program still active? What is the schedule?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?