Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
Rate This FAQ
Slugs and snails are one of the most universal garden problems. These mollusks are not insects, so insecticides are not effective. Slug and snail control starts in late summer or fall, and each over-wintering pest lays up to 400 eggs which will hatch in the spring. Clean up debris and weeds where they hide in the fall and apply bait during the growing season.
Iron phosphate is an effective snail/slug control and has little off-target toxicity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing
- Our tomato plants are out of control. They have out grown the cages and are taking over the garden. What can we do?
- I have 4 lovely crenshaw melons on my home garden vines -- 1 large, 2 medium, and 1 small. None of them have gone yellow/white yet! We survived the snow flakes last weekend (I covered everything), but I see we are about to get another "hit" this weekend! Is there ANYthing I can do to speed up their ripening?? I have cut back my watering of the vines, but sprinklers still go on automatically in the morning. Would any of the "usual" things people do to ripen melons indoors (paper bags, put them with a banana, etc.) do any good while they are still on the vine?? From everything I have read, if they are picked while they are still green, they will never ripen -- is this true? If I keep them well covered during our few nights of 32-33 due this weekend, will they survive on the vine to ripen?
- What do I do about squash bugs?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?