Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
Rate This FAQ
Slugs and snails are one of the most universal garden problems. These mollusks are not insects, so insecticides are not effective. Slug and snail control starts in late summer or fall, and each over-wintering pest lays up to 400 eggs which will hatch in the spring. Clean up debris and weeds where they hide in the fall and apply bait during the growing season.
Iron phosphate is an effective snail/slug control and has little off-target toxicity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I store my summer bulbs?
- They sell blueberry bushes at Costco. Can they grow in Utah and if so what kind of soil prep is needed?
- You have some history on the popularity of apples?
- You might be a gardener if...
- I have 4 lovely crenshaw melons on my home garden vines -- 1 large, 2 medium, and 1 small. None of them have gone yellow/white yet! We survived the snow flakes last weekend (I covered everything), but I see we are about to get another "hit" this weekend! Is there ANYthing I can do to speed up their ripening?? I have cut back my watering of the vines, but sprinklers still go on automatically in the morning. Would any of the "usual" things people do to ripen melons indoors (paper bags, put them with a banana, etc.) do any good while they are still on the vine?? From everything I have read, if they are picked while they are still green, they will never ripen -- is this true? If I keep them well covered during our few nights of 32-33 due this weekend, will they survive on the vine to ripen?
- I left my carrots in the ground over winter this year without mulching them. Now it is May and they have resumed growing. We pulled a few out and, other than a little bit of woodiness they seem to be okay. Is it safe to eat carrots that have been left so long in the ground with no mulch?
- I live in Dayton,Id. I seem to have a lot of trouble with blossom end rot on my tomatoes. What could I be doing wrong? To much water not enough or wrong fertilizer? Need suggestions.
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?