Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
Rate This FAQ
Slugs and snails are one of the most universal garden problems. These mollusks are not insects, so insecticides are not effective. Slug and snail control starts in late summer or fall, and each over-wintering pest lays up to 400 eggs which will hatch in the spring. Clean up debris and weeds where they hide in the fall and apply bait during the growing season.
Iron phosphate is an effective snail/slug control and has little off-target toxicity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- when should I plaint string beans
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- I planted six Euonymus alatus compacta (burning bush) two years ago. The have not done well. They leaf beautifully in the spring, and then, regardless how much water I give them, the leaves turn brown around the edges and they look like they are dying. The next spring, I start all over again. Any suggestions?
- How many ears of corn grow on one stalk?
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?