Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
Rate This FAQ
Slugs and snails are one of the most universal garden problems. These mollusks are not insects, so insecticides are not effective. Slug and snail control starts in late summer or fall, and each over-wintering pest lays up to 400 eggs which will hatch in the spring. Clean up debris and weeds where they hide in the fall and apply bait during the growing season.
Iron phosphate is an effective snail/slug control and has little off-target toxicity.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- I have had some raspberry plants in an area near my house (6' x 12') for over ten years and only in the spring do I try to gently loosen the soil with a gardening fork. I have not added anything other than some fruit oriented fertilizer or Miracle Grow in that time. Half of the section usually produces berries the size of the tip of your little finger and some grow as big as the tip of your thumb. The others are small and crumbly,which is okey of jam but not for visuals or overall production. I read that crumbliness is due to ovary infertility. How do I overcome that? Should I also be doing some thinning? Early this last spring I cut the canes to about three feet high but many of them are now close to eight feet long. What is the best way to deal with excess growth?
- We have some shrubs in front of our senior center. Some are brown, others are perfectly green, and one is half green and half brown. I've taken three pictures I can e-mail if you want. Could you possibly help me diagnose the problem?
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
- When do I harvest my pumpkins or squash?
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?