Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
Rate This FAQ
The bleached foliage on your vegetables maybe a result of cold weather. Cold injury is successively worse with cooler temperatues and/or longer exposure. Some of the most susceptible plants (peppers, cucumbers, squash, etc.) can become permanently affected, not dying, but growing more slowly than those not affected. Your pale leaves, could also have been the result of overwatering or a combination of the two.
As the weather warms, your vegetables should send out new sets of greener leaves. Make sure that you don't over-water them. The yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant will probably drop off.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- How can I stay on top of yard and garden problems?
- Moved to a new location in Riverton and started a garden. This spring I added compost and steer manure. The garden is watered using secondary irrigation. The leaves on the beans, corn, and strawberries turn yellow with a burned look on the outer edges of the leaves and then the plant dies. The tomatoes and melon plants all seem to be doing well. Any idea's?
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
- I have a climbing rose that I love and would like to take a cutting and start a new plant. What is the best way to do that?
- We have some shrubs in front of our senior center. Some are brown, others are perfectly green, and one is half green and half brown. I've taken three pictures I can e-mail if you want. Could you possibly help me diagnose the problem?
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?