Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do my tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom?
Rate This FAQ
This brown/black spot is called BER (blossom end rot), caused by a calcium deficiency within the fruit of the plant. Utah soils have plenty of calcium, but for some reason calcium was not translocated during early fruit set. Failure to translocate calcium occurs during times of stress: transplanting, cool cloudy weather, root rot, or drought. Soil enriched with high quality organic matter reduces BER because it retains moisture while also providing aeration to roots. Mulch helps prevent BER by reducing swings in soil moisture, plus it sustains soil organic matter for good aeration.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- How do I get rid of squash bug?
- I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?
- I'd like to plant annual vines - do you have suggestions?
- I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem