Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do my tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom?
Rate This FAQ
This brown/black spot is called BER (blossom end rot), caused by a calcium deficiency within the fruit of the plant. Utah soils have plenty of calcium, but for some reason calcium was not translocated during early fruit set. Failure to translocate calcium occurs during times of stress: transplanting, cool cloudy weather, root rot, or drought. Soil enriched with high quality organic matter reduces BER because it retains moisture while also providing aeration to roots. Mulch helps prevent BER by reducing swings in soil moisture, plus it sustains soil organic matter for good aeration.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- We moved here recently into a brand new neighborhood and are just now having a landscape Co. come in and lay sprinklers, top soil and sod. We will be planting bushes and trees. Question: Is it a waste of money, time and effort to try to establish perennials at this late date into virgin soil? Or should I wait until spring to do that part of establishing a flower garden?
- How do I control field bind weed?
- Earlier this season we sprayed with Dursban, can we still eat the fruit?
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- Where can I find a vegetable garden planting schedule guide for the Salt Lake Valley area?