Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Hi, I just recently bought a house in Taylorsville in a older neighborhood. I have noticed some clover that is sort of a deep purplish color coming up all through my yard. What is it and how can I get rid of it?
Rate This FAQ
Don't know what you are describing exactly. It possibly could be Oxalis, creeping wood sorrel that has shamrock type leaf, purple, and yellow flowers. The best way is to bring in a fresh sample to our office for proper identification in order to offer a good management solution for control.
Our offices are at the Salt Lake County Government Complex, 2001 South State Rm S1200, and our offices are open M-F 9am to 5pm. We also have a Plant Diagnostic Clinic on Mondays from 1 to 4pm, where the public is welcome to bring in samples for identification. This clinic is staffed by volunteer Master Gardeners who want to help you with your gardening questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Hi, I have a lot of two year hybrid poplars that we've planted for a wind break and the leaves near the trunks are beginning to turn yellow. I've read that this can be because of lack of water or too much water or not enough fertilizer. It's July and we water them every day because of the 90+ temps. Any suggestions?
- We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
- Our house is in Murray between the Jordan River and the North Jordan Canal. It faces east, so our backyard in on the west side. We have a steep slope of clay soil. We need some trees which would provide shade and privacy. We have tried river birch, blue spruce and a pine. All have died. We have a deep water system for the trees. The needles on our spruce and pine turned brown and dropped off. What kind of trees could we plant under these circumstances?
- I have a peach tree with lots of little branches that look burnt at the ends. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but the ends of the branches keep turning black and dying.
- I would like to prune my lilac bush. What is the best time of year to do so and how much can be cut back and not harm the bush?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- We planted some scrub oak plants a few years ago that we got from a nursery. Although they come back every year they never get any bigger. They are still the same size as when we planted them. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it take off?
- The grass in certain areas of my lawn is not growing well. I've been told it may be due to the fact that they're adjacent to pine trees, and that fallen pine needles have caused locally acidic conditions. It is suggested that I apply Gypsum in these areas. Are the diagnoses and suggestions plausible ?