Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
Rate This FAQ
If the needles have turned yellow then brown or reddish in color and have fallen from the tip of the branches back to the trunk, it may be damage caused by drought, insects or winter injury. The dropping of older needles near the center of the tree is a natural process. During summer, water trees deeply and infrequently. In early fall and winter, apply adequate water as needed. Keep trees healthy. Borers and beetles attack trees in stress and may cause early death.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- I am looking for a native grass, or a grass that behaves as a native, does not need irrigated once established, does not need mowed, for a hill in a St.George back yard. Cottonwood trees shade the area but it also gets sun. I was going to use Buffalograss seed, but some people at a nursery in St.George said that it is too hot for Buffalograss. Do you have any suggestions?
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?
- Do you have some pruning tips for ornamental and shade trees?
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?