Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
Rate This FAQ
If the needles have turned yellow then brown or reddish in color and have fallen from the tip of the branches back to the trunk, it may be damage caused by drought, insects or winter injury. The dropping of older needles near the center of the tree is a natural process. During summer, water trees deeply and infrequently. In early fall and winter, apply adequate water as needed. Keep trees healthy. Borers and beetles attack trees in stress and may cause early death.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We planted a new yard with several pine trees this last Fall - including sub-alpine, a young cedar, douglas fir, and a couple of sequioa .... along with the traditional small conifer bushes. With the recent wind and the sensitivies of the sub-alpines and sequoia I wanted to be sure that I fertilized, etc., a needed (watered them a little today due to strong winds).
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- I am an architect, working with a client who wants to hydroseed a 2.5 acre parcel for use as a softball field. The area is currently planted in alfalfa. There will be some regrading (both cut and fill) of the field that will be required. The client would still like to hydroseed this year, likely near the end of September. Do we need to call for the alfalfa to be treated with a herbicide? If so, what is the process, and what herbicide should be used? Is there a waiting period between application of the herbicide and the hydroseeding? Must the herbicide be applied to the above-grade plants, or can the site first be cleared, then the herbicide applied to the gound and roots?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?