Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
Rate This FAQ
If the needles have turned yellow then brown or reddish in color and have fallen from the tip of the branches back to the trunk, it may be damage caused by drought, insects or winter injury. The dropping of older needles near the center of the tree is a natural process. During summer, water trees deeply and infrequently. In early fall and winter, apply adequate water as needed. Keep trees healthy. Borers and beetles attack trees in stress and may cause early death.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- How can I make my lawnmower safe?
- I wanted to ask your opinion on fertilizing my lawn. I have so many weeds this year that I don't know what to do. The lawn is currently being fertilized by a company that comes out every 2-3 months. I started using them at the end last summer but maybe I selected the wrong company. Could you give me a recommendation on what to do to cut down on the weeds? Should I switch to a different company or do you recommend fertilizing myself? Thanks, Ryan
- How can I attract hummingbirds to my yard?
- I'd like to seed my yard with buffalo grass seed. The previous lawn was pulled out this past may, and I have since placed about 2 inches of compost over the area, and it is a full sun area. What are the best practices for seeding the yard and buffalograss establishment? Is this the right time? My soil is old alluvial soil...a fine loam I believe, very dark and rich in organics. ANYTHING you might know about this would be much appreciated.
- I have read that one should water infrequently and then water to penetrate 6 to 10 inches especially if one has necrotic ring spot. I live in Sandy where the top soil is only four inches and then sand and rock. Does it make sense to water 6 to 8 inches? Also does necrotic ring spot live in sandy rocky soil? Is it possible to control or eliminate the necrotic ring spot by using a service or must I excavate and if so to what extent?
- What is killing the aspen trees in our forests?
- Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.