Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My new austrian pines planted in the fall are looking pale in color and a lot of needles have fallen off. Also, my older austrian pines are looking the same way. What do they need? The soil has a lot of clay and is quite alkaline. My new spruce in the same area is doing great. What do the pines need?
Rate This FAQ
There are lots of possibilities with your pines. The need for water is most likely, combined with the possibility that they have some winter injury. Water them and wait. The bids should be swelling and new shoots emerging now.
Fall is not the best time for planting because often the trees have been sitting at the nursery all summer. This makes it more likely they were weak when they went in. Spring is best.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My backyard has far too much grass. I'd like to turn a fairly large portion of the lawn into waterwise beds and also expand my backyard vegetable garden. Two years ago, I made some beds by removing the turf. However, it is not only very hard work but it also results in a large amount of excess sod, and takes a good amount of topsoil with it. It also seems wasteful to send it to a landfill. Is there a way to kill the grass without herbicides? For example, will covering it with black plastic be an effective way to kill the grass? If so, how long will it be before I can plant in the new beds?
- This year a majority of our tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom. Some of them as soon as they are ripe they have mold growing on them. Are these safe to eat an can or what do I need to do. We have about 8 or 9 plants. They are not producing that well. It seems to be on all of are tomatoes except for the grape. What can we do to get this problem taken care of?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?
- I have an apricot tree that is so heavy laden with fruit that it broke a major branch yesterday leaving me with about a half bushel of partially ripened fruit. Can any of it be saved? What should I do?
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- My new lawn I had hydroseeded last year went to seed this year and and is still looking poorly is there anything I can do to bring it back to looking good again?