Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My new austrian pines planted in the fall are looking pale in color and a lot of needles have fallen off. Also, my older austrian pines are looking the same way. What do they need? The soil has a lot of clay and is quite alkaline. My new spruce in the same area is doing great. What do the pines need?
Rate This FAQ
There are lots of possibilities with your pines. The need for water is most likely, combined with the possibility that they have some winter injury. Water them and wait. The bids should be swelling and new shoots emerging now.
Fall is not the best time for planting because often the trees have been sitting at the nursery all summer. This makes it more likely they were weak when they went in. Spring is best.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am trying to grow an indoor herb garden. My dill and cilantro are failing miserably! I think I am also harvesting them when they are too young. Help! They are frail and stringy.
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- I just bought a house and the yard is a mess. We have multiple varieties of grasses and weeds, dry spots, dead spots and rodent damage. I am a staunch do-it-yourselfer but the number of different problems to attack is overwhelming. Where is the best place to get educated or to get started? If I take a bunch of digital pictures of the various problems and plant types is there someplace I can take them to get good advice? Tru Green also came by and said we have grubs, but all they did was LOOK at the grass. I can pull up the dirt myself, but I don't know what to look for.
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
- How can you tell if a fertilizer is a "slow-release"? What are the best NPK ratios for this area?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
- I was told there was a worm that eats the goathead or Tribulus Terrestris is that true?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?