Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My new austrian pines planted in the fall are looking pale in color and a lot of needles have fallen off. Also, my older austrian pines are looking the same way. What do they need? The soil has a lot of clay and is quite alkaline. My new spruce in the same area is doing great. What do the pines need?
Rate This FAQ
There are lots of possibilities with your pines. The need for water is most likely, combined with the possibility that they have some winter injury. Water them and wait. The bids should be swelling and new shoots emerging now.
Fall is not the best time for planting because often the trees have been sitting at the nursery all summer. This makes it more likely they were weak when they went in. Spring is best.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a small backyard that has a house on the west and north side, a cinder block wall on the east side and a large tree shading a portion on the south side. Due to the high sides of our yard, we tried some part shade/part sun plants last year. But they got blasted in the heat. Our yard doesn't get 10 hours of sunlight but it gets very hot. Can I sucessfully grow a vegetable garden in part of it up against the houses and plant something along the cinder block wall - preferably grapes or raspberries, or other covering plants (can be non-fruit). Can you recommend a plant we can grow along the wall, both in the shaded and sunny parts? Any recomendations for better use of the space?
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.
- We have creeping mountain sorrel in our lawn and can't get rid of it. Do you have any recommendations on products that might kill it, or any other ways to get rid of it?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?