Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My new austrian pines planted in the fall are looking pale in color and a lot of needles have fallen off. Also, my older austrian pines are looking the same way. What do they need? The soil has a lot of clay and is quite alkaline. My new spruce in the same area is doing great. What do the pines need?
Rate This FAQ
There are lots of possibilities with your pines. The need for water is most likely, combined with the possibility that they have some winter injury. Water them and wait. The bids should be swelling and new shoots emerging now.
Fall is not the best time for planting because often the trees have been sitting at the nursery all summer. This makes it more likely they were weak when they went in. Spring is best.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have old cottonwoods in my yard. Vines are growing up about 5-6 feet on them (honeysuckle, ivy or virginia creeper) They are dying about on a year for the past 4 years and I lost another one this summer. Are the vines killing them or could it be the age of the trees?
- We have 2 honeylocust trees in our yard. I would guess "Imperial honeylocust". They seem to be about 15 years old or so. They are spaced about 20 feet apart. This spring one has leafed out and the other is still not budding or leafing out. Over the winter, the one that is not budding turned bright red on the trunk, which we have never seen before. The tree is getting a very few buds and leaves on some main branches (like suckers) but no buds or leaves on the outer limbs. Is there anything we can do to save this tree?
- I have a red photina thats leaves, in part of the bush, seemed like they were burnt. Is it a disease that these bushes can get? If I cut it back all the way, will all of the bush come out of it or should I get rid of the bush? The photina next to it is just fine.
- The leaves on my snowball bush are withered and the flowers almost nonexistant. The neighboring lilac doesn't look to good either. What could be causing this problem.
- I just ordered some blueberry bushes and wondered where I need to plant them in my garden.
- My purple crown locust has never bloomed in the 5 years that I've had it and the past two years in the summer whole branches of leaves are dying off. Should I remove it and start over?
- My lawn has distinct areas that are brown next to healthy areas. The brown areas are covered in small holes.
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?