Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
The grass in certain areas of my lawn is not growing well. I've been told it may be due to the fact that they're adjacent to pine trees, and that fallen pine needles have caused locally acidic conditions. It is suggested that I apply Gypsum in these areas. Are the diagnoses and suggestions plausible ?
Rate This FAQ
I do not recommend adding gypsum. Our Utah soils are high in the mineral calcium and gypsum is calcium sulfate. Generally the reason lawn is not growing under your pine trees may have more to do with sunlight as the dense canopy of pines do not allow the lawn enough sunlight to grow well.
Plants growing near the trunk of a tree out to the drip line are competing with the tree for water and nutrients. A suggestion would be to use a coarse or large nuggest bark mulch around the base of the tree that will offer weed control, keep soil moisture, and moderate soil temperature that will benefit the health of the tree.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We planted some scrub oak plants a few years ago that we got from a nursery. Although they come back every year they never get any bigger. They are still the same size as when we planted them. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it take off?
- I have a sister that lives in South Jordan. She and her neighbor planted their gardens at the same time with the same type of soil. Her neighbors vegetables are thriving and my sisters are on the verge of death. What should she do and where can she have her soil tested?
- I just ordered some blueberry bushes and wondered where I need to plant them in my garden.
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- My newly sprouted green bean plants are getting small to medium holes in the leaves. Could this be from pests or the heavy rain in East Millcreek?
- We have creeping mountain sorrel in our lawn and can't get rid of it. Do you have any recommendations on products that might kill it, or any other ways to get rid of it?
- How do I get rid of the Quaking Aspen suckers that are coming up in my lawn without hurting the trees or the grass?
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?