Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My roses and boxelder trees have sticky (sap) leaves, what is causing this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Aphids. This is a large group of insects, usually found in considerable numbers on stems, leaves and flowers of many plants, causing leaves to curl under and entire plants to wilt. Aphid nymphs and adults suck sap from plants and secrete "honeydew", a sugary excretion that attracts other insects (especially ants). Honeydew provides a good environment for the fungus “sooty mold”, a black, powdery fungus on leaf surfaces.
Recommended aphid control is: spray off plants with a stiff stream of water, knocking pests to the ground where predators will feed on them, or spray with insecticidal soap. As a last resort, chemicals such as Neem may be used. Follow label instructions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.
- How do I prune my roses?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- What is killing my lawn? It was fine in the spring, and now this summer, it is looking dead in patchy spots.
- I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?