Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My roses and boxelder trees have sticky (sap) leaves, what is causing this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Aphids. This is a large group of insects, usually found in considerable numbers on stems, leaves and flowers of many plants, causing leaves to curl under and entire plants to wilt. Aphid nymphs and adults suck sap from plants and secrete "honeydew", a sugary excretion that attracts other insects (especially ants). Honeydew provides a good environment for the fungus “sooty mold”, a black, powdery fungus on leaf surfaces.
Recommended aphid control is: spray off plants with a stiff stream of water, knocking pests to the ground where predators will feed on them, or spray with insecticidal soap. As a last resort, chemicals such as Neem may be used. Follow label instructions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the best time to seed native grasses such as streambank and western wheatgrass into an existing Kentucky Bluegrass lawn? Some of what I've read leads me to believe that it would be best to seed in late fall so the seed will germinate in the spring. But I wonder if it would be better to seed in early fall after stressing the KBG. I will also be seeding sheep fescue, but I've seen conflicting information on whether that is native or introduced. My goal is to have a lawn that can survive with no water, and stay green with very little water.
- Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).
- I am looking for a native grass, or a grass that behaves as a native, does not need irrigated once established, does not need mowed, for a hill in a St.George back yard. Cottonwood trees shade the area but it also gets sun. I was going to use Buffalograss seed, but some people at a nursery in St.George said that it is too hot for Buffalograss. Do you have any suggestions?
- When is the best time time to water my lawn? I've heard it's better in the evening because it gives time to soak in and I've heard morning because if you do it at night the lawn will get moldy. Thanks.
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?