Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My roses and boxelder trees have sticky (sap) leaves, what is causing this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Aphids. This is a large group of insects, usually found in considerable numbers on stems, leaves and flowers of many plants, causing leaves to curl under and entire plants to wilt. Aphid nymphs and adults suck sap from plants and secrete "honeydew", a sugary excretion that attracts other insects (especially ants). Honeydew provides a good environment for the fungus “sooty mold”, a black, powdery fungus on leaf surfaces.
Recommended aphid control is: spray off plants with a stiff stream of water, knocking pests to the ground where predators will feed on them, or spray with insecticidal soap. As a last resort, chemicals such as Neem may be used. Follow label instructions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I prune my roses?
- What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
- How can I attract hummingbirds to my yard?
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- I made the mistake of fertilizing my newly planted trees. I had heard that the salty, clay soil I have needs iron useable for the trees. I used chelated. Anyway two of the trees, a candian red cherry and a zelkova tree have dry crispy leaves on the north side of the tree. We have had very hot, windy weather. I have two other canadian cherries that look fine.
- I have a scarlett red maple. It's about 8 years old and last year the leaves didn't get very big. This year, it hasn't even began to bloom yet although, It has tiny buds. I noticed that the bark in some places peels off very easily. Under the bark, it looks like there may be some black flecks (maybe bug feces). I only noticed one little red colored bug under where I peeled the bark. I don't see any other bugs anywhere, even at the base. Do you think it could have a disease or bugs? I am going to put some fertilizer steaks around it and pour some Bayer Advanced tree and shrub insect control around the base of the tree. Is it too late to spary it?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?