Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
Rate This FAQ
First of all, I hope you're not planning to plant flower beneath your pine tree. The area from the tree's trunk out to the edge of the tree's canopy is where most of the tree roots are. Anything you plant beneath that canopy will have to compete with tree roots for soil water and nutrients. I don't recommend it.
That said, it sounds like you may be talking about planting near the tree in a relatively shady spot. That would be fine, and I have some recommendations for you:
Aquilegia (columbine) - this would be a choice perennial for the situation you describe as it is native to woodland areas. Three great columbines are native to Utah: Aquilegia flavescens or chrysantha (yellow), Aquilegia Formosa (bright red), and Aquilegia caerulea (light blue or white) are native to the Intermountain West. Aquilegia hybrids are fine too, but they are more susceptible to leaf miners.
Geranium - true geraniums (not the annual Pelargonium that most people think of as "geranium") are long-blooming perennials with colors that range from light pink to deep purple. Geranium viscosissimum (sticky purple geranium) is especially nice and is native to our region.
Heuchera (coral bells) is a perennial with evergreen leaves and rose-pink to crimson or even white bell-shaped flowers. There are many hybrids to choose from.
Impatiens is an annual (needs to be replaced every year) that blooms all summer long in colors that range from white to pink to lilac.
Bergenia cordifolia is great for borders or within the shade of trees. Not only do they have nice rose or lilac flowers, but the leaves have a great texture that shows up nicely in shaded areas. This is a perennial that will last for many years.
This should give you a good start. Happy planting!
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- I have a vine growing on my fence that has sparse dark blue berries and thick red stems. What plant is this? Image showing this plant can be seen at http://themodbod.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/ivy-to-use.jpg
- How can I get rid of Bur Buttercup? We have tried poisons over the past few years with little result. This year we tried a pre-emergent with little to no results. What can we do do get rid of them?
- Our house is in Murray between the Jordan River and the North Jordan Canal. It faces east, so our backyard in on the west side. We have a steep slope of clay soil. We need some trees which would provide shade and privacy. We have tried river birch, blue spruce and a pine. All have died. We have a deep water system for the trees. The needles on our spruce and pine turned brown and dropped off. What kind of trees could we plant under these circumstances?
- What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- Now that the snow has melted off our lawn, we notice there are winding "trails" through the grass. One of the trails goes from a patch of vince major ground cover, across the grass to another patch of vinca major ground cover. It looks like something has pushed up the black plastic lawn edging enough to crawl underneath. There is no soil excavation on top of the lawn; only tunnels through the grass. We've never had moles or voles before that I know of so I don't know what habits they have. Do you think it could be a mouse or maybe a mole or vole? What's the best way to get ride of it?
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?