Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
Rate This FAQ
It is called Coryneum Blight or "shot hole" disease. It is a fungus that infests during cool, wet springs. It first forms dark spots with brown centers on the leaves. These centers eventually fall out, leaving a "shot-hole" appearance. The fruit has rough, corky blemishes with a red ring around the spot. Control includes: keeping leaves and fruit dry from sprinkler spray, proper pruning, maintaining good tree vigor and a fall clean up of debris around the base of the tree. A fungicide maybe applied in the fall after all the leaves have fallen, again in the spring at pink bud stage, full bloom and when leaves begin to appear.
Reference: “Coryneum Blight of Stone Fruits”, at http://extension.usu.edu/plantpath/fruit_diseases/fd_coryneum_blight.htm
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have purchased a few acres in summit county at about 9500 feet elevation. The property is in the middle of a meadow, with no natural trees. I would like to plant some evergreen seedlings. Will they grow? I am wondering why the meadow would not already have these types of trees, if they would in fact grow there. Can you recommend the best type of tree for success, or am I better off saving my money? There are evergreens growing all around the meadow a few hundred yards away. Thanks.
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- I live out in Magna and I was wondering if it's feasable and/or successful to attempt to grow a plum tree from a seed? When should I start?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- How do I prune cherry trees?