Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
Rate This FAQ
It is called Coryneum Blight or "shot hole" disease. It is a fungus that infests during cool, wet springs. It first forms dark spots with brown centers on the leaves. These centers eventually fall out, leaving a "shot-hole" appearance. The fruit has rough, corky blemishes with a red ring around the spot. Control includes: keeping leaves and fruit dry from sprinkler spray, proper pruning, maintaining good tree vigor and a fall clean up of debris around the base of the tree. A fungicide maybe applied in the fall after all the leaves have fallen, again in the spring at pink bud stage, full bloom and when leaves begin to appear.
Reference: “Coryneum Blight of Stone Fruits”, at http://extension.usu.edu/plantpath/fruit_diseases/fd_coryneum_blight.htm
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- Do I have borers in my peach trees?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?