Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
Rate This FAQ
It is called Coryneum Blight or "shot hole" disease. It is a fungus that infests during cool, wet springs. It first forms dark spots with brown centers on the leaves. These centers eventually fall out, leaving a "shot-hole" appearance. The fruit has rough, corky blemishes with a red ring around the spot. Control includes: keeping leaves and fruit dry from sprinkler spray, proper pruning, maintaining good tree vigor and a fall clean up of debris around the base of the tree. A fungicide maybe applied in the fall after all the leaves have fallen, again in the spring at pink bud stage, full bloom and when leaves begin to appear.
Reference: “Coryneum Blight of Stone Fruits”, at http://extension.usu.edu/plantpath/fruit_diseases/fd_coryneum_blight.htm
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- How do I prune cherry trees?
- When I first moved here, my peach tree was unhealthy and barely alive. With regular irrigation from the water that comes down from Cedar Breaks National Monument and all the minerals, it has become very healthy with good fruit. Now it looks like it used to - fruit, but hardly any leaves. Could it be the drastic changes in weather one week in April after Easter - 75 degrees one day, gale force winds the next, then freezing rain and snow, all during bloom time?
- Do you have an email list I can subscribe to that informs me when to spray my fruit trees?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP