Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
Rate This FAQ
It is called Coryneum Blight or "shot hole" disease. It is a fungus that infests during cool, wet springs. It first forms dark spots with brown centers on the leaves. These centers eventually fall out, leaving a "shot-hole" appearance. The fruit has rough, corky blemishes with a red ring around the spot. Control includes: keeping leaves and fruit dry from sprinkler spray, proper pruning, maintaining good tree vigor and a fall clean up of debris around the base of the tree. A fungicide maybe applied in the fall after all the leaves have fallen, again in the spring at pink bud stage, full bloom and when leaves begin to appear.
Reference: “Coryneum Blight of Stone Fruits”, at http://extension.usu.edu/plantpath/fruit_diseases/fd_coryneum_blight.htm
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- When shall I prune my fruit trees?
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- I am wondering if the worms in cherries are safe to eat? They are so small it doesn't really bother me to eat them but I don't want to if they could make me sick or continue to live and grow inside me.
- I just found black spots on some of the peaches on my peach tree. I cut one peach open and the pit split in half really easily and there were small redish and black spots in the pit. I was wondering what are they, and if there's anything I can do about it?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?