Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
Rate This FAQ
Citrus and avocado trees cannot be grown successfully in our landscape because they are not cold hardy to survive our Utah winters. However, some citrus trees that are on dwarf rootstock can be grown in containers, such as Meyer Lemons or kumquats, which are brought into a heated garage or greenhouse overwinter. Then they can be brought back outdoors when there is no longer a threat of frost.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have much vinca minor (dwarf periwinkle) planted about 20 years ago as ground cover in my yard. Some is in full sun, some is in part sun/part shade. Some small areas of the vinca (3-4 feet in diameter) in several places in the yard have begun the most recent two Springs looking yellow/pale green, not deep green like the rest of the gardens. Neither have they flowered. A couple of the small yellow/pale green areas e thinned, and some of the plants died. The veins in the leaves of the unhealthy plants are green, but the leaves are yellow/pale green. They have remained thus all summer. They don't turn brown and dry and die. I have treated with fertilizer and snail bait, but neither has had any effect on the unhealthy looking plants. Are these plants deficient in some nutrient? Healthy plants I planted in the bare areas had a hard time establishing but did eventually and have not paled. What should I do? I don't want the problem to spread. The periwinkle has added a great texture to the yard.
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- I have space for 2 fruit trees in my yard. I would like to plant an apple (red delicious) and a peach (red Haven). Are these the best varieties for my area, and how about cross pollination. My neighbor across the fence has a peach tree and I have a crab apple near by.
- What is the cost for a soil test?
- I have recently had topsoil brought in to grow a garden and my vegetable plants are wilting as if something in the soil is affecting them how do I get my soil tested to correct this?
- Hi, I have a lot of two year hybrid poplars that we've planted for a wind break and the leaves near the trunks are beginning to turn yellow. I've read that this can be because of lack of water or too much water or not enough fertilizer. It's July and we water them every day because of the 90+ temps. Any suggestions?
- The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?
- We bought a house that has quaking aspens around the perimeter of the yard. About half of them are dying or are already dead. What can we do to prevent the rest of them from dying, and what should we do with the dead trees?