Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
Rate This FAQ
Generally we do not recommend pre-germination for small seeds like carrot as it is difficult to handle them and get uniform spacing or we may also damage the root when planting. Root damage leads to crooked roots later in the season.
To ensure good germination, double dig the carrot bed, rake the surface to smooth it slightly then scatter the seed over the surface. Since the seed is quite small, it is difficult to spot once on the soil surface. So don't over seed or you may have very thick plantings which will reduce root size. After seeding, firm the soil surface to cover the seed and further pack the planted area. Moisten the surface well and then cover it with compost, grass clippings or straw. This will reduce the need to re-water too often which contributes to soil crusting. Using this approach, you can successfully plant carrots through the summer (about every 4-6 weeks) for a continuous crop.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
- Why are tomatoes turning black (dark) from the bottom up when they begin to ripen. They are also dark on the inside.
- You have some history on the popularity of apples?
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing