Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
Rate This FAQ
Generally we do not recommend pre-germination for small seeds like carrot as it is difficult to handle them and get uniform spacing or we may also damage the root when planting. Root damage leads to crooked roots later in the season.
To ensure good germination, double dig the carrot bed, rake the surface to smooth it slightly then scatter the seed over the surface. Since the seed is quite small, it is difficult to spot once on the soil surface. So don't over seed or you may have very thick plantings which will reduce root size. After seeding, firm the soil surface to cover the seed and further pack the planted area. Moisten the surface well and then cover it with compost, grass clippings or straw. This will reduce the need to re-water too often which contributes to soil crusting. Using this approach, you can successfully plant carrots through the summer (about every 4-6 weeks) for a continuous crop.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- What is the best way to get rid of morning glory in my lawn and garden?
- How do I protect my zukes and cukes from the annual onslaught of squash bugs?
- Do you have information on water-wise annuals?
- What is the shelf life of fertilizer? I have some bags that have been stored in an outside shed and wondered whether they can be used or should be discarded.
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- Is the use of manure safe for the vegetable garden?