Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
Rate This FAQ
Generally we do not recommend pre-germination for small seeds like carrot as it is difficult to handle them and get uniform spacing or we may also damage the root when planting. Root damage leads to crooked roots later in the season.
To ensure good germination, double dig the carrot bed, rake the surface to smooth it slightly then scatter the seed over the surface. Since the seed is quite small, it is difficult to spot once on the soil surface. So don't over seed or you may have very thick plantings which will reduce root size. After seeding, firm the soil surface to cover the seed and further pack the planted area. Moisten the surface well and then cover it with compost, grass clippings or straw. This will reduce the need to re-water too often which contributes to soil crusting. Using this approach, you can successfully plant carrots through the summer (about every 4-6 weeks) for a continuous crop.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- When should apple trees be sprayed and how should we go about it. Is there someone in Utah Co. who will come and do it. We have a golden apple tree that produces big, good apples when taken care of.
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
- What's eating your raspberries besides you?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- What is an effective way to handle squash bugs? This is the second year they have killed all our winter squash plants?
- I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.