Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
Rate This FAQ
Strawberries do very well in pots, as the root volume required is relatively small. You do need to remember that maintaining plants with a small root volume require more frequent watering. At peak production, strawberry plants can transpire a relatively large amount of water, so they may need to be watered daily, if not more often.
Optimum growing temperatures for strawberries are between 70 and 85F. So for warmer parts of Utah, some afternoon shade in the summer is beneficial. Keeping the roots cool in the summer with light colored pots will also help. Too much shade will result in vegetative plants that don't produce much fruit, or produce fruit that is sour.
Winter survival will depend on how cold it gets, and how much you protect them. Buried under snow, or even under straw or sawdust mulch will help keep the roots and crowns from being damaged. Since they are in pots, you can also consider moving them to a shed or unheated garage where they will also receive some protection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- We have planted tomato plants and used “Miracle Grow” the plants are big and healthy and have many blossoms but no tomatoes have as yet began to grow, we have seen different kinds of bees pollinating the blossoms at times. I have never had this happen before can you give us some advice concerning this? Thanks, Lewis Draney
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing
- The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- How many ears of corn grow on one stalk?