Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
Rate This FAQ
Strawberries do very well in pots, as the root volume required is relatively small. You do need to remember that maintaining plants with a small root volume require more frequent watering. At peak production, strawberry plants can transpire a relatively large amount of water, so they may need to be watered daily, if not more often.
Optimum growing temperatures for strawberries are between 70 and 85F. So for warmer parts of Utah, some afternoon shade in the summer is beneficial. Keeping the roots cool in the summer with light colored pots will also help. Too much shade will result in vegetative plants that don't produce much fruit, or produce fruit that is sour.
Winter survival will depend on how cold it gets, and how much you protect them. Buried under snow, or even under straw or sawdust mulch will help keep the roots and crowns from being damaged. Since they are in pots, you can also consider moving them to a shed or unheated garage where they will also receive some protection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- How do I get rid of squash bug?
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??