Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
Rate This FAQ
Strawberries do very well in pots, as the root volume required is relatively small. You do need to remember that maintaining plants with a small root volume require more frequent watering. At peak production, strawberry plants can transpire a relatively large amount of water, so they may need to be watered daily, if not more often.
Optimum growing temperatures for strawberries are between 70 and 85F. So for warmer parts of Utah, some afternoon shade in the summer is beneficial. Keeping the roots cool in the summer with light colored pots will also help. Too much shade will result in vegetative plants that don't produce much fruit, or produce fruit that is sour.
Winter survival will depend on how cold it gets, and how much you protect them. Buried under snow, or even under straw or sawdust mulch will help keep the roots and crowns from being damaged. Since they are in pots, you can also consider moving them to a shed or unheated garage where they will also receive some protection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?
- when should I plaint string beans
- Moved to a new location in Riverton and started a garden. This spring I added compost and steer manure. The garden is watered using secondary irrigation. The leaves on the beans, corn, and strawberries turn yellow with a burned look on the outer edges of the leaves and then the plant dies. The tomatoes and melon plants all seem to be doing well. Any idea's?
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?