Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
Rate This FAQ
Strawberries do very well in pots, as the root volume required is relatively small. You do need to remember that maintaining plants with a small root volume require more frequent watering. At peak production, strawberry plants can transpire a relatively large amount of water, so they may need to be watered daily, if not more often.
Optimum growing temperatures for strawberries are between 70 and 85F. So for warmer parts of Utah, some afternoon shade in the summer is beneficial. Keeping the roots cool in the summer with light colored pots will also help. Too much shade will result in vegetative plants that don't produce much fruit, or produce fruit that is sour.
Winter survival will depend on how cold it gets, and how much you protect them. Buried under snow, or even under straw or sawdust mulch will help keep the roots and crowns from being damaged. Since they are in pots, you can also consider moving them to a shed or unheated garage where they will also receive some protection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- Tomato tutorial
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the planting schedule for Utah. Could you also tell me gardening plants that tend to grow better than others here in Utah? Thank you
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- Is the use of manure safe for the vegetable garden?
- do ants eat one another?