Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
Rate This FAQ
Strawberries do very well in pots, as the root volume required is relatively small. You do need to remember that maintaining plants with a small root volume require more frequent watering. At peak production, strawberry plants can transpire a relatively large amount of water, so they may need to be watered daily, if not more often.
Optimum growing temperatures for strawberries are between 70 and 85F. So for warmer parts of Utah, some afternoon shade in the summer is beneficial. Keeping the roots cool in the summer with light colored pots will also help. Too much shade will result in vegetative plants that don't produce much fruit, or produce fruit that is sour.
Winter survival will depend on how cold it gets, and how much you protect them. Buried under snow, or even under straw or sawdust mulch will help keep the roots and crowns from being damaged. Since they are in pots, you can also consider moving them to a shed or unheated garage where they will also receive some protection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is the best way to get rid of morning glory in my lawn and garden?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
- I'd like to plant annual vines - do you have suggestions?
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- They sell blueberry bushes at Costco. Can they grow in Utah and if so what kind of soil prep is needed?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.