Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
Rate This FAQ
You can learn about how to take a good soil sample and where to send it at the USU Analytical Labs website, www.usual.usu.edu. The routine test will tell you the most needed information; it costs $14. The downloadable PDF file with soil test information is at http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf.
The most common problem in Utah when trying to grow vegetables is the lack of organic matter in our native soil. Here is a link to an online publication that will explain more about soil organic matter: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/soils5.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a mature elm in my backyard that was probably planted when the house was built in the 70's. We bought it 3 years ago and I have noticed that something is eating away at the bark. There is a reddish-brown streak (almost like what you would see in a human that has blood poisoning) that runs up the bark. I cut off one of the lower limbs that the problem had progressed to. The bark is very "mushy" and looks decayed. Chunks of bark fall off at the affected areas. I cannot see any bugs that may be causing this but I suspect that is the cause. This tree has 2 main branches that extend from the bottom and this is where the main damage seems to be. I am concerned that the tree could "split" at this point if it becomes weakened. I need to know the cause and treatment.
- I have some cucumbers I bought from the nursery in a small container about 3 weeks ago. I transplanted them to a larger container. I move them in the garage at night and back out to the driveway during the day. The leaves and stems are turning light green and have dry white places on them. Are they getting sun scalded, am I watering them too much, not enough fertilizer?
- What type of grass would hold up to high traffic in a yard facing south (no shade)? We are needing to re-seed or buy sod.
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- What of the drought grasses mentioned Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideouts grama grass, would most likely trigger allergy issues? Which one the least? Where to buy? Plant as sod? May we have instructions on "planting," care and maintanence, please?
- I have several burning bushes and every year they start out great in the spring but later spring the leaves turn yellow, I have been adding iron to the soil around them and it seems to help a bit but it still happens every year. Could it be something else?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?