Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
Rate This FAQ
You can learn about how to take a good soil sample and where to send it at the USU Analytical Labs website, www.usual.usu.edu. The routine test will tell you the most needed information; it costs $14. The downloadable PDF file with soil test information is at http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf.
The most common problem in Utah when trying to grow vegetables is the lack of organic matter in our native soil. Here is a link to an online publication that will explain more about soil organic matter: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/soils5.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have lost 2 pine trees and are now loosing our quaking aspen. It has black spots on leaves and trunk has back on it also. The leaves are falling off. Is there anything that can save the tree?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- We planted apple trees last year. When do we spray for cottling moths?
- Last year in June or July pesticide (Ortho Home) was used all over my yard...and in my garden. I didn't realize the dangers of pesticide, until after it had been sprayed/poured all over. Is it safe to plant a vegetable garden this year, or is the pesticide still present in my garden? Is there a way to get my soil tested to make sure it's safe? Thanks, Brandi
- How can I get rid of Bur Buttercup? We have tried poisons over the past few years with little result. This year we tried a pre-emergent with little to no results. What can we do do get rid of them?
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?
- We have a scrub oak that has been growing between a pine and an aspen, which has made the oak very lop-sided. The aspen is gone now. How much purning can we do to the oak to try and even it's growth?