Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
Rate This FAQ
You can learn about how to take a good soil sample and where to send it at the USU Analytical Labs website, www.usual.usu.edu. The routine test will tell you the most needed information; it costs $14. The downloadable PDF file with soil test information is at http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf.
The most common problem in Utah when trying to grow vegetables is the lack of organic matter in our native soil. Here is a link to an online publication that will explain more about soil organic matter: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/soils5.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have Ray wood ash trees around our home and last year they were topped by hormworms. What do you suggest?
- Our lawn is very bumpy and hard to walk on. Are the quaking aspen tree roots doing this? Should we aerate the lawn or does this cause more problems with the roots?
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- My neighbors have horses, and I need to create a wind break of sorts to control dust from their pasture. Please advise regarding trees shrubs I can plant close to fenceline for windbreak that the horses won't eat.
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?