Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
Rate This FAQ
You can learn about how to take a good soil sample and where to send it at the USU Analytical Labs website, www.usual.usu.edu. The routine test will tell you the most needed information; it costs $14. The downloadable PDF file with soil test information is at http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf.
The most common problem in Utah when trying to grow vegetables is the lack of organic matter in our native soil. Here is a link to an online publication that will explain more about soil organic matter: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/soils5.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a sister that lives in South Jordan. She and her neighbor planted their gardens at the same time with the same type of soil. Her neighbors vegetables are thriving and my sisters are on the verge of death. What should she do and where can she have her soil tested?
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- Whenever I go into the supermarket in the summer time I see people picking out watermelons and talking about bee stings as indicators of a good melon, but I thought bees only sting when threatened and that the sting contains a venom. Is there any correlation between the marks on watermelon and bees? Adam
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- Is it good to cut the lawn shorter right before winter? I normally cut my lawn quite high, but it seems like I heard that it is good to cut it shorter for winter. Thanks.