Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
Rate This FAQ
You can learn about how to take a good soil sample and where to send it at the USU Analytical Labs website, www.usual.usu.edu. The routine test will tell you the most needed information; it costs $14. The downloadable PDF file with soil test information is at http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf.
The most common problem in Utah when trying to grow vegetables is the lack of organic matter in our native soil. Here is a link to an online publication that will explain more about soil organic matter: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/soils5.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last year in June or July pesticide (Ortho Home) was used all over my yard...and in my garden. I didn't realize the dangers of pesticide, until after it had been sprayed/poured all over. Is it safe to plant a vegetable garden this year, or is the pesticide still present in my garden? Is there a way to get my soil tested to make sure it's safe? Thanks, Brandi
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- We would like to plant a pasture (about 2 acres). We would like one that creates sod, like a lawn, rather than a bunch grass. It will be used to hold a hillside and eventually to graze a few animals. We could cut it for grass hay also. What would be the best varieties of seed to use for a pasture like this?
- I recently purchased a home in Sandy and there are chinese elms everywhere. Some of them are growing around gas and water lines. How do I get rid of them? Can I cut them down and poisen the root system? I also have a backyard that is completely overgrown with what I think is an annual bluegrass. I just want to rip all that out and plant seed in the fall. What is the best way to get rid of the annual bluegrass so it dosen't grow back next year? Can I just till it or do I need to do more than that?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- My peach trees seem to have something sappy oozing from the trunk, somewhere between the middle and top part. I thought borers were usually at the bottom of the trunk. Is it a spread of borers?
- I have recently had topsoil brought in to grow a garden and my vegetable plants are wilting as if something in the soil is affecting them how do I get my soil tested to correct this?