Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are the berries on a Lodense Privet poisonous?
Rate This FAQ
Lodense Privet, Ligustrum vulgare, have white odorous flowers and black berries are attractive and palatable for birds, however the berries and parts of the plants are poisonous to mammals, including cattle, cats, dogs, and humans.
I looked under the FDA Poisonous Plant Database (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/plantox.html) for privet. This database contains references to the scientific literature describing studies of the toxic properties and effects of plants and plant parts and 92 records, which could be articles or studies that show toxic properties of privet.
Please note, that they are several ornamental plants that can be toxic to mammals, and I appreciate your question and good judgement should be used when selecting plants for our landscapes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How long can I keep leftovers in the refrigerator?
- How many Tablespoons in a cup, quarts in a peck, etc.?
- Do you have information on freezer meals?
- Do you have tips for high altitude baking?
- I was wondering how long to cook a 15 lb beef roast in the oven & at what temperature. Do I need to add water? Cover with foil? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
- Do I need to use soap and water to clean fresh fruits and vegetables?
- Will you please send me a recipe for pesto?
- How do I get rid of the flour weevils that I have in my kitchen without destroying all of my boxed mixes, etc. I know I've got to spray something but is there anything that will leave the food safe for consumption?