Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are the berries on a Lodense Privet poisonous?
Rate This FAQ
Lodense Privet, Ligustrum vulgare, have white odorous flowers and black berries are attractive and palatable for birds, however the berries and parts of the plants are poisonous to mammals, including cattle, cats, dogs, and humans.
I looked under the FDA Poisonous Plant Database (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/plantox.html) for privet. This database contains references to the scientific literature describing studies of the toxic properties and effects of plants and plant parts and 92 records, which could be articles or studies that show toxic properties of privet.
Please note, that they are several ornamental plants that can be toxic to mammals, and I appreciate your question and good judgement should be used when selecting plants for our landscapes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is it safe to store food in their cans in the refrigerator?
- Can you substitute cooking oil for shortening/lard in a cake recipe in equal parts?
- I left a pot of soup out after dinner last night; I went to bed and forgot about it. Is it safe to eat if I boil the soup really hard for a long time?
- How safe are herbal medicines?
- How do you read the code on canned goods to determine the expiration date?
- How do I get rid of the flour weevils that I have in my kitchen without destroying all of my boxed mixes, etc. I know I've got to spray something but is there anything that will leave the food safe for consumption?
- Do you have recipes for cooking pumpkin?
- How can I make sure my eggs are safe?