Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are the berries on a Lodense Privet poisonous?
Rate This FAQ
Lodense Privet, Ligustrum vulgare, have white odorous flowers and black berries are attractive and palatable for birds, however the berries and parts of the plants are poisonous to mammals, including cattle, cats, dogs, and humans.
I looked under the FDA Poisonous Plant Database (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/plantox.html) for privet. This database contains references to the scientific literature describing studies of the toxic properties and effects of plants and plant parts and 92 records, which could be articles or studies that show toxic properties of privet.
Please note, that they are several ornamental plants that can be toxic to mammals, and I appreciate your question and good judgement should be used when selecting plants for our landscapes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Would you answer some questions about food irradation?
- Can I use a wood cutting board?
- I left a pot of soup out after dinner last night; I went to bed and forgot about it. Is it safe to eat if I boil the soup really hard for a long time?
- How do I get rid of the flour weevils that I have in my kitchen without destroying all of my boxed mixes, etc. I know I've got to spray something but is there anything that will leave the food safe for consumption?
- What is the nutritional value of pickled vegetables and how much vit C etc is saved?
- I purchased some sealed pouches of cornmeal in 1999. It has been stored sometimes in wrm climates nd for the last 3 years in a cool climatel Is it still good and useable? Thank you in advance. Jim Burkey
- I am going out of the country for a few years and will be unable to purchase powdered sugar and also tomato paste where I will be living. Is there a way I can make these things myself using very basic products?
- Do you have tips on food safety after a flood?