Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are the berries on a Lodense Privet poisonous?
Rate This FAQ
Lodense Privet, Ligustrum vulgare, have white odorous flowers and black berries are attractive and palatable for birds, however the berries and parts of the plants are poisonous to mammals, including cattle, cats, dogs, and humans.
I looked under the FDA Poisonous Plant Database (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/plantox.html) for privet. This database contains references to the scientific literature describing studies of the toxic properties and effects of plants and plant parts and 92 records, which could be articles or studies that show toxic properties of privet.
Please note, that they are several ornamental plants that can be toxic to mammals, and I appreciate your question and good judgement should be used when selecting plants for our landscapes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I made an apple pumpkin butter and processed it as instructed for 10 minutes in a water bath. There are air bubbles that appeared after processing. The lids have sealed and there were no other problems. Should it still be safe to store and eat?
- I want to cover and leave carrots in the ground during the winter. How do I keep mice out of them?
- What is the effect of irradiation on food packaging, especially on p.v.c?
- Is tomato soup and tomato sauce safe to eat if they squirt out of the can when they are opened?
- How can I make sure my eggs are safe?
- Will you please send me a recipe for pesto?
- How safe are herbal medicines?
- what is the best way to clean whole wheat? I am living in Korea and have purchased some wheat that appears to need cleaning, but I don't know how to do it/