Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are the berries on a Lodense Privet poisonous?
Rate This FAQ
Lodense Privet, Ligustrum vulgare, have white odorous flowers and black berries are attractive and palatable for birds, however the berries and parts of the plants are poisonous to mammals, including cattle, cats, dogs, and humans.
I looked under the FDA Poisonous Plant Database (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/plantox.html) for privet. This database contains references to the scientific literature describing studies of the toxic properties and effects of plants and plant parts and 92 records, which could be articles or studies that show toxic properties of privet.
Please note, that they are several ornamental plants that can be toxic to mammals, and I appreciate your question and good judgement should be used when selecting plants for our landscapes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Should I worry about pesticides on fruits and vegetables?
- Is tomato soup and tomato sauce safe to eat if they squirt out of the can when they are opened?
- What can you tell me about the new dietary guidelines?
- How can I eat healthier at fast food restaurants?
- As I've grown older I've lost my appetite, can I get it back?
- Do you have tips on safe food handling techniques?
- What happens if you make and use a product that had weevils? Will you get sick?
- does 1 tablespoon make 2 teaspoons