Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are the berries on a Lodense Privet poisonous?
Rate This FAQ
Lodense Privet, Ligustrum vulgare, have white odorous flowers and black berries are attractive and palatable for birds, however the berries and parts of the plants are poisonous to mammals, including cattle, cats, dogs, and humans.
I looked under the FDA Poisonous Plant Database (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/plantox.html) for privet. This database contains references to the scientific literature describing studies of the toxic properties and effects of plants and plant parts and 92 records, which could be articles or studies that show toxic properties of privet.
Please note, that they are several ornamental plants that can be toxic to mammals, and I appreciate your question and good judgement should be used when selecting plants for our landscapes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do I need to use soap and water to clean fresh fruits and vegetables?
- I want to cover and leave carrots in the ground during the winter. How do I keep mice out of them?
- Can I have my pumpkin and eat it too?
- How can I encourage nutritious eating habits in my preschooler?
- What's round and orange, has a wicked smile and great health benefits?
- What is being done to promote healthy eating in schools?
- Is it possible to grow blueberries in Utah County? If so, what do I need to do to help them thrive?
- Can a Person safely eat the head of any venomous snake? If not, why?