Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a red photina thats leaves, in part of the bush, seemed like they were burnt. Is it a disease that these bushes can get? If I cut it back all the way, will all of the bush come out of it or should I get rid of the bush? The photina next to it is just fine.
Rate This FAQ
Photinias can get fire blight. This disease causes the leaves and/or twigs to look like they were burned. Drought or sun scorch can also cause burning on the leaves. If your shrub is against a heat absorbing brick or concrete wall, or a reflective surface, such as a white vinyl fence, the absorbed or reflected heat could cause burn damage.
There is an excellent article with photos of photinias with fire blight for you to compare with your shrub's symptoms. This article will also give suggestions to treat the disease. Go to Google and type in fire blight photinia (or the web site is:http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_a/a-230.html )
If you have further questions, you can call 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- Can I legally drill a small water well (or two) under 30 feet deep in my back yard without a permit?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
- My peach trees seem to have something sappy oozing from the trunk, somewhere between the middle and top part. I thought borers were usually at the bottom of the trunk. Is it a spread of borers?
- I have built a terrace at the back of my garden and would like to start a grape arbor as a natural fence between my yard and my neighbor. What grapes would do well and how do I go about starting an arbor? What kind of fencing would I need?
- We are putting in sod in our front yard - not a lot of traffic. Would like you opinion on if we should put in Kentucky Blue Grass or a biograss?
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?