Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have uncooked steak that's been in the fridge for about 1 week. Is it safe to cook & eat it now?
Rate This FAQ
Raw meats will remain safe in the refrigerator due to the fact that the bad bacteria cannot grow at that temperature. And, proper cooking will kill any bacteria on the meat surface. Spoilage is another matter. Meat spoils in the fridge due to chemical and microbiological reasons. Once it smells bad, it most likely will taste bad.
A good general rule is to freeze any fresh meat within two days if your plans are not to cook them immediately.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What's round and orange, has a wicked smile and great health benefits?
- How can I ensure that my drinking water is safe?
- Can I have my pumpkin and eat it too?
- How long can I keep leftovers in the refrigerator?
- Would you answer some questions about food irradation?
- Is there a way to can something that has cooked eggs in it (like lemon curd) and store it safely, unrefridgerated, like bottled jam. (Not just storing it for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.)
- Do you have tips for safe home canning of tomatoes and salsa?
- Is it safe to store food in their cans in the refrigerator?