Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have uncooked steak that's been in the fridge for about 1 week. Is it safe to cook & eat it now?
Rate This FAQ
Raw meats will remain safe in the refrigerator due to the fact that the bad bacteria cannot grow at that temperature. And, proper cooking will kill any bacteria on the meat surface. Spoilage is another matter. Meat spoils in the fridge due to chemical and microbiological reasons. Once it smells bad, it most likely will taste bad.
A good general rule is to freeze any fresh meat within two days if your plans are not to cook them immediately.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How long can I keep leftovers in the refrigerator?
- I'm in the middle of baking cookies, the recipe calls for baking powder and I am out. Is there a substitute?
- Should I worry about pesticides on fruits and vegetables?
- How can I encourage nutritious eating habits in my preschooler?
- Can I use a wood cutting board?
- Do you have tips to help prevent dehydration?
- How do I get rid of the flour weevils that I have in my kitchen without destroying all of my boxed mixes, etc. I know I've got to spray something but is there anything that will leave the food safe for consumption?
- Is tomato soup and tomato sauce safe to eat if they squirt out of the can when they are opened?