Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have uncooked steak that's been in the fridge for about 1 week. Is it safe to cook & eat it now?
Rate This FAQ
Raw meats will remain safe in the refrigerator due to the fact that the bad bacteria cannot grow at that temperature. And, proper cooking will kill any bacteria on the meat surface. Spoilage is another matter. Meat spoils in the fridge due to chemical and microbiological reasons. Once it smells bad, it most likely will taste bad.
A good general rule is to freeze any fresh meat within two days if your plans are not to cook them immediately.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips on food safety after a flood?
- How many Tablespoons in a cup, quarts in a peck, etc.?
- Do you have tips on safe food handling techniques?
- I made an apple pumpkin butter and processed it as instructed for 10 minutes in a water bath. There are air bubbles that appeared after processing. The lids have sealed and there were no other problems. Should it still be safe to store and eat?
- How can I encourage nutritious eating habits in my preschooler?
- What is the nutritional value of pickled vegetables and how much vit C etc is saved?
- How can I ensure that my drinking water is safe?
- Is it safe to defrost meat on the counter?