Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
Rate This FAQ
Providing that the lid has sealed and you processed the chicken properly, it will be safe despite the loss of liquid. There are several possible reasons the liquid boiled off:
1. The jar is packed too full - incorrect headspace.
2. Starchy foods may absorb some liquid.
4. The liquid you added to cover cold, raw food was not hot enough when you put it in the canner.
5. You did not remove air bubbles when you packed the food.
6. The pressure canner was not sufficiently or properly exhausted (Pressure fluctuated, or temperature lowered suddenly during processing, due to uncontrolled heat source. If the pressure canner cools too quickly while the contents of the jar remain at a much higher temperature, the liquid will boil over. The "coming down" period has to be gradual and even. The petcock was opened before the pressure had returned to zero).
7. The gauge is inaccurate. Have it tested at your local Cooperative Extension Office.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- How much food should I store?
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- Is it save to eat weevil?