Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
Rate This FAQ
Regarding your question about rose varieties that will work for you in Holladay, I will refer you to the Utah Rose Society webpage that has surveyed their avid rose gardeners for favorite varities. Go to this link http://utah-rose.com/UtahVarieties/UtahVarieties.html and look for roses under the categories that have SH following the varieties that denote a shrub rose.
As for dogwood shrub/tree, they do well in the Salt Lake Valley and actually prefer some shade, as the variegated leaves with white are prone to sun scald in direct and full sun. They are drought tolerant, however do better when given some extra moisture.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can I legally drill a small water well (or two) under 30 feet deep in my back yard without a permit?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- I have 2 red tipped photinas in my front yard against the house (south facing). They were great for the first 3 years, but now, for the last 2 winters the leaves have dried out and dropped in the spring. I thought it was a lack of water over the winter, so I tried to help out, but that didnt help. Should I prune them back in the fall or is there anything I can do to help them so this doesn't happen next winter?
- We are putting in a backyard with grass seed instead of sod. I am wondering if we need to add lime to our soil to change the pH and also what types of grass work best in our area. I assume that Kentucky Bluegrass would be best, but should I get a mix or just the Bluegrass? Are certain brands better than others?
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- I have recently identified three large plants growing on a stream bed in my yard as water hemlock. From what I have read on-line, this is a very poisonous plant. Supposedly the stalks remain poisonous even when dead. My plants are quite bulky, and would fill at least a few garbage cans if cut down. Can you advise me on how to safely deal with these plants?
- I have some fruit trees in a lawn area that I have been fertilizing with ammonium sulfate, but needed to change to a weed & feed. Is the fruit still safe to eat?