Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the best thing to do with seedlings that are too tall for the seed starting kits? I have cauliflower and tomato plants that are 'leggy' and now too tall, but not yet ready to go outside. I received last week an advertisement about that hybrid zoysia grass that needs little watering and little mowing. Is that for real and if so, would it work in our climate? Supposedly it is cold hardy to -30. If I think that I there are gophers in my yard, what is the best way to eradicate them?
Rate This FAQ
You can transplant your seedlings into larger containers. They are leggy because they haven't received enough sunlight. Shop lights hung just above the foliage can help them not to get leggy. I put my light on wooden blocks and kept adding blocks as the plants grew higher. Your tomatoes can be replanted in larger pots with part of the stem buried in the dirt. New roots will form along the buried stem.
Zoysia grass will grow here, but it is a warm season grass, which means that it won't turn green until the weather is hot (June?) and will go brown when the weather cools. It is very coarse in texture and if you walk barefoot on it, it will feal like a coconut fiber door mat. It is true that it needs little water.
As for your possible gophers. If the holes are small with no mounds of dirt around them, they are probably voles. If the holes are large and have dirt piled around them, they are gophers. Farm supply stores such as Call-Ranch, IFA, Steve Regan, etc. will have traps or chemical baits or gasses you can buy to take care of them.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 801-851-8460 ext 5. Pat Fugal, Master Gardener
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?
- Whenever I go into the supermarket in the summer time I see people picking out watermelons and talking about bee stings as indicators of a good melon, but I thought bees only sting when threatened and that the sting contains a venom. Is there any correlation between the marks on watermelon and bees? Adam
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
- When is the next date for spraying apple trees for codling moth?
- I have a huge weeping willow in my front yard. My next door neighbor swears the root system has invaded her septic line. She had a globe will previously taken out that was about 10 feet from her main water line while my weeper is about 30. My own line is about 15 feet from the weeper. Is there any validation to her statement?
- I have black spots on my tomato plant leaves and some on the main stem. Will it kill the plant? Can I get rid of it? Will it apread to the soil or other plants? HELP. I see it in most of the greehouses I have been to. Is it to late to find someone with a place to find a clean tomato plant and still plant it and get fruit?
- I would like to have a live, potted evergreen as my Christmas tree, and then plant it in my yard. Must the decorated tree remain outside? What species of tree would you recommend?
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?