Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the best thing to do with seedlings that are too tall for the seed starting kits? I have cauliflower and tomato plants that are 'leggy' and now too tall, but not yet ready to go outside. I received last week an advertisement about that hybrid zoysia grass that needs little watering and little mowing. Is that for real and if so, would it work in our climate? Supposedly it is cold hardy to -30. If I think that I there are gophers in my yard, what is the best way to eradicate them?
Rate This FAQ
You can transplant your seedlings into larger containers. They are leggy because they haven't received enough sunlight. Shop lights hung just above the foliage can help them not to get leggy. I put my light on wooden blocks and kept adding blocks as the plants grew higher. Your tomatoes can be replanted in larger pots with part of the stem buried in the dirt. New roots will form along the buried stem.
Zoysia grass will grow here, but it is a warm season grass, which means that it won't turn green until the weather is hot (June?) and will go brown when the weather cools. It is very coarse in texture and if you walk barefoot on it, it will feal like a coconut fiber door mat. It is true that it needs little water.
As for your possible gophers. If the holes are small with no mounds of dirt around them, they are probably voles. If the holes are large and have dirt piled around them, they are gophers. Farm supply stores such as Call-Ranch, IFA, Steve Regan, etc. will have traps or chemical baits or gasses you can buy to take care of them.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 801-851-8460 ext 5. Pat Fugal, Master Gardener
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am considering a weeping willow for my back yard. I have not heard good things about them being planted in Salt Lake. What is your opinion, and would I be better going with a different species or will a willow be fine?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- I have many Chanticleer pear's in my yard. Each year they swarm with Wasps during the day. There are not any nests in them. Is there anything I can do or spray to remove them? They have been swarming many of my Quakies as well. I have read online that it could be from aphids on the trees and the Wasps go after the sugary substance the aphids leave behind. I have noticed on my Quakies that there are small holes on some leaves which might mean aphids, but on the Chanticleer's there are not any holes on the leaves so I don't think aphids would be on those. Please help the wasps are out of control on these trees.
- I have space for 2 fruit trees in my yard. I would like to plant an apple (red delicious) and a peach (red Haven). Are these the best varieties for my area, and how about cross pollination. My neighbor across the fence has a peach tree and I have a crab apple near by.
- The leaves on my strawberry plants have turned a very pale green or yellow with some brown on the edges what do they need?
- Can I legally drill a small water well (or two) under 30 feet deep in my back yard without a permit?