Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
Rate This FAQ
Unfortunately there is not a magic spray that can be sprayed on all fruit trees, with the exception of dormant oil. This should be sprayed within the next couple of weeks to help control aphids, scale, and other pest and some diseases. Do not apply it once trees have leafed out or you have had problems with shothole fungus (Coryneum Blight) that also needs to be treated with an appropriate fungicide. Captan is labeled for this. The following hyperlink will lead to a Website that provides info on when to spray or trap insect pests http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit. You may subscribe to the Website for regular updates on current insect and disease sightings and outbreak predictions, and highlights upcoming concerns for tree fruit growers. A traditional pesticide good for controlling coddling moth on apples is Sevin (carbaryl). For trees such as cherries and peaches Malathion can be used if needed. Consider using alternatives more sustainable to these including traps and baits. The Utah plant pest diagnostic lab has more specific info on this http://utahpests.usu.edu/.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- We have flowering plum trees in our yard next to the driveway. I would like to stop them from having fruit, is there anything I can spray on them to have them stop producing fruit? If so what is it and when do I spray?
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- Mt aunt has a Italian plum tree. It is very old it has a lot of fruit on it all with little bumps on them. What is causing the little bumps and what is the regemine of what and when to spray if any?
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
- I live out in Magna and I was wondering if it's feasable and/or successful to attempt to grow a plum tree from a seed? When should I start?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?