Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
Rate This FAQ
I would indeed be a very popular person if I could assure plant survival! Unfortunately, I can only recommend helpful hints from personal experience. Sub-alpine fir has been one of my favorite trees since first seeing it many years ago while skiing at Alta. Hence, why not enjoy this great color and form in our own yard year round?
The answer is location and the particular plants ability or inability in this case to adapt to our valley environment. Some sub-alpine fir planted in a constructed micro-climate, in an acceptable soil medium, and with good management survive in our lower elevations, most do not. Your particular sub-alpine fir with the newer growth beginning to brown may not be one of the survivors.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I keep stray animals out of my yard?
- We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.