Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
Rate This FAQ
I would indeed be a very popular person if I could assure plant survival! Unfortunately, I can only recommend helpful hints from personal experience. Sub-alpine fir has been one of my favorite trees since first seeing it many years ago while skiing at Alta. Hence, why not enjoy this great color and form in our own yard year round?
The answer is location and the particular plants ability or inability in this case to adapt to our valley environment. Some sub-alpine fir planted in a constructed micro-climate, in an acceptable soil medium, and with good management survive in our lower elevations, most do not. Your particular sub-alpine fir with the newer growth beginning to brown may not be one of the survivors.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
- What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- How do I get rid of wild morning glory?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?