Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
Rate This FAQ
I would indeed be a very popular person if I could assure plant survival! Unfortunately, I can only recommend helpful hints from personal experience. Sub-alpine fir has been one of my favorite trees since first seeing it many years ago while skiing at Alta. Hence, why not enjoy this great color and form in our own yard year round?
The answer is location and the particular plants ability or inability in this case to adapt to our valley environment. Some sub-alpine fir planted in a constructed micro-climate, in an acceptable soil medium, and with good management survive in our lower elevations, most do not. Your particular sub-alpine fir with the newer growth beginning to brown may not be one of the survivors.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
- Do you have tips for success with African violets?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- I notice groups of about 4 or 5 pine needles buried into the flower beds and am wondering what type of bug is pulling them into the ground in the fall. They do not get ther naturally because of the way they are sticking out of the ground. Half buried. I am just wondering what creature this might be and do I need to do something about it?
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?