Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
Rate This FAQ
I would indeed be a very popular person if I could assure plant survival! Unfortunately, I can only recommend helpful hints from personal experience. Sub-alpine fir has been one of my favorite trees since first seeing it many years ago while skiing at Alta. Hence, why not enjoy this great color and form in our own yard year round?
The answer is location and the particular plants ability or inability in this case to adapt to our valley environment. Some sub-alpine fir planted in a constructed micro-climate, in an acceptable soil medium, and with good management survive in our lower elevations, most do not. Your particular sub-alpine fir with the newer growth beginning to brown may not be one of the survivors.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- What is a pre-emergent and a post-emergent?
- My roses and boxelder trees have sticky (sap) leaves, what is causing this problem?
- We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?