Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
Rate This FAQ
I would indeed be a very popular person if I could assure plant survival! Unfortunately, I can only recommend helpful hints from personal experience. Sub-alpine fir has been one of my favorite trees since first seeing it many years ago while skiing at Alta. Hence, why not enjoy this great color and form in our own yard year round?
The answer is location and the particular plants ability or inability in this case to adapt to our valley environment. Some sub-alpine fir planted in a constructed micro-climate, in an acceptable soil medium, and with good management survive in our lower elevations, most do not. Your particular sub-alpine fir with the newer growth beginning to brown may not be one of the survivors.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I get rid of wild morning glory?
- I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
- What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- Do you test soil?
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?