Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
Rate This FAQ
Smoke bombs are a good way of getting rid of moles, voles, gophers (pocket gophers), ground hogs, ground squirrels, rabbits (which sometimes live in other creatures' burrows), and woodchucks. The bombs releases a sulfurous smoke that asphyxiates these tunnel dwellers. Simply light the fuse, place it lit end down into the hole entrance, and quickly cover the device and the hole with soil.
For smoke bombs to work, the target animal needs to be at home. If you see the animal and scare it into its burrow, you know it's home. Generally, most of these animals are home at night.
Since the gas produced is a sulfur based smoke, it should not harm the vegetables that are planted after eliminating the pest. If there are vegetables growing in the garden already, you should be a bit careful particularly if the pest is burrowing around your root vegetables (carrot or potato). Always follow the directions on the packaging when using these devises.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- I have Morning glory though out my established lawn, how can I get rid of it?
- Last May, I planted my living Christmas tree (5 foot Black Hills Spruce) after wintering it in a sheltered area with mulch. It was inside for only 3 days. It grew well all summer with little green buds until the first hard frost and then it died all at once. What happened? Was it the tree or the location? I live at 7,000 ft; the planting location is a little bit rocky and I don't want it to happen again. Thanks!!!
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- I planted my tomatos around the middle of May and now they are big and great looking except not one of the 12 plants has a blossom on it. Am I not patient enough or what can I do about this?