Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
Rate This FAQ
Smoke bombs are a good way of getting rid of moles, voles, gophers (pocket gophers), ground hogs, ground squirrels, rabbits (which sometimes live in other creatures' burrows), and woodchucks. The bombs releases a sulfurous smoke that asphyxiates these tunnel dwellers. Simply light the fuse, place it lit end down into the hole entrance, and quickly cover the device and the hole with soil.
For smoke bombs to work, the target animal needs to be at home. If you see the animal and scare it into its burrow, you know it's home. Generally, most of these animals are home at night.
Since the gas produced is a sulfur based smoke, it should not harm the vegetables that are planted after eliminating the pest. If there are vegetables growing in the garden already, you should be a bit careful particularly if the pest is burrowing around your root vegetables (carrot or potato). Always follow the directions on the packaging when using these devises.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the next date for spraying apple trees for codling moth?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- Last fall we removed all of our oregon grape that has been growing for over 20 years to re-landscape a flower bed in our front yard. We put mulch on the bare ground to sit over the winter in hopes to start planting this spring. Now we have several mushroom 'colonies', is what I call it, breaking through the soil, but they are only coming through on half of the 5' x 12' area. I have pulled out the 'first round' of mushrooms, and now twice as mony are coming back, in the same area. How can I get rid of these mushrooms so that we can plant our new daylillies and spirea? I might also add that this area has not received alot of water, although it is next to our driveway where we shovel the snow.
- I planted four Patmore Green Ash trees in my yard and they all have circular hole bite marks on all the leaves. I cannot see any insects on them. Do you have any idea what might be eating the leaves and how I can get rid of them?
- Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- We just planted a maple tree in our back yard and noticed today that almost every single leaf has large circular spots that appear to have been "eaten" out of the sides of the leaves. I've read about a tar disease, but I don't really see the tar on the leaves. What could it be and is there something we should do about it?
- My purple crown locust has never bloomed in the 5 years that I've had it and the past two years in the summer whole branches of leaves are dying off. Should I remove it and start over?