Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
Rate This FAQ
Smoke bombs are a good way of getting rid of moles, voles, gophers (pocket gophers), ground hogs, ground squirrels, rabbits (which sometimes live in other creatures' burrows), and woodchucks. The bombs releases a sulfurous smoke that asphyxiates these tunnel dwellers. Simply light the fuse, place it lit end down into the hole entrance, and quickly cover the device and the hole with soil.
For smoke bombs to work, the target animal needs to be at home. If you see the animal and scare it into its burrow, you know it's home. Generally, most of these animals are home at night.
Since the gas produced is a sulfur based smoke, it should not harm the vegetables that are planted after eliminating the pest. If there are vegetables growing in the garden already, you should be a bit careful particularly if the pest is burrowing around your root vegetables (carrot or potato). Always follow the directions on the packaging when using these devises.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have space for 2 fruit trees in my yard. I would like to plant an apple (red delicious) and a peach (red Haven). Are these the best varieties for my area, and how about cross pollination. My neighbor across the fence has a peach tree and I have a crab apple near by.
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- We have a red Haven peach dwarf peach tree. It is really not growing as tall as advertised. If that is the case and we plant a standard size can we count on it not getting as tall as advertised? What are the best peach trees for Utah. I know our zone Starks have a few trees that are very hardy but they really don't brag about the taste and quality of the peach. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
- I live in riverton and want to plant triple crown blackberries and dwarf northblue blueberries. Do you have any suggestions or help?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- We have about 6 pine trees (blue spruce) in our yard and we have noticed that this year they are loaded with pine cones. Does this mean anything? We have looked on the farmers almanac thinking that it must mean we are in for a hard winter, or something in that nature, but have been unsuccessful in finding the answer. Do you have any information why the trees are loaded with pine cones?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- I planted my tomatos around the middle of May and now they are big and great looking except not one of the 12 plants has a blossom on it. Am I not patient enough or what can I do about this?