Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a small backyard that has a house on the west and north side, a cinder block wall on the east side and a large tree shading a portion on the south side. Due to the high sides of our yard, we tried some part shade/part sun plants last year. But they got blasted in the heat. Our yard doesn't get 10 hours of sunlight but it gets very hot. Can I sucessfully grow a vegetable garden in part of it up against the houses and plant something along the cinder block wall - preferably grapes or raspberries, or other covering plants (can be non-fruit). Can you recommend a plant we can grow along the wall, both in the shaded and sunny parts? Any recomendations for better use of the space?
Rate This FAQ
Most vegetable plants need approximately 8-10 hours of light to grow and produce. When shopping for either seeds or plants refer to the label for sunlight requirements. Since your yard also gets a lot of heat you will want to look for plants that are heat tolerant as well. I have included the link to our webpage where you can find more information on growing vegetables, recommended varieties for our area, as well as light requirements.
There are several ornamental plants that work well in part shade conditions. As with the vegetables you will need to read the plant labels to help you determine the plants sunlight requirements. Look for plants that say shade tolerant or part shade on the label.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We don't have morning glory in our lawn, but it is taking over our strawberries. Is there anything we can do? If we decide we'd rather get rid of the morning glory instead of saving the strawberries, will roundup get rid of it?
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?
- When is the next date for spraying apple trees for codling moth?
- We have a red Haven peach dwarf peach tree. It is really not growing as tall as advertised. If that is the case and we plant a standard size can we count on it not getting as tall as advertised? What are the best peach trees for Utah. I know our zone Starks have a few trees that are very hardy but they really don't brag about the taste and quality of the peach. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
- My green peppers have black at the stems of almost every branch. Is there anything I can do to save them?