Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We are remodeling our kitchen, and would like to know what is the best kind of stove for canning. I have had to replace several heating elements on my current electric stove because of canning. I usually use a water bath canner, does a gas stove generate enough heat for canning?
Rate This FAQ
The first thing you would want to do when shopping is ask the vender about the electric ranges and if they are recommended for canning. We have found that in recent years, the electric ranges may have elements that cycle off after they get so hot, which is a problem if you are canning. Some models indicate they should not be used for canning. The smooth top ranges are a problem because the surface gets too hot when the canner is on it and can damage the surface and also cycle off the unit. The water bath canner is also not usually completely flat on the bottom which causes problem with the smooth top surface.
Gas should be fine to use for canning. You can direct the flame to fit the pan, control it easily and it won’t cycle off.
"Boiling-water canners are made of aluminum or porcelain-covered steel. They have removable, perforated racks and fitted lids. The canner must be deep enough so that at least one inch of briskly boiling water will cover the tops of jars during processing. Boiling-water canners with ridged bottoms can be used only on a gas range. Boiling-water canners with flat bottoms can be used on either a gas or electric range. To ensure uniform processing of all jars with an electric range, the canner should be no more than four inches wider than the burner (meaning that when centered over the burner, the canner would overhang the burner by two inches all the way around)." Barbara J. Willenberg, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Missouri Extension
Utah State University Extension – County Director
Salt Lake County
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I prevent timber theft on my forest property?
- I have gnats flying around my house which seem to be coming from my potted plants. What can I do to control these insects?
- How can I protect my home from a wildfire?
- Do you have snow removal tips?
- Do you have tips on energy efficiency in the kitchen?
- I want to get rid of spiders inside my house. What do you recommend I spray inside and outside with?
- Tricks for treating halloween stains.
- How can I prevent a wildfire from destroying my home?